PDA

View Full Version : Advice on Concrete coping needed.

DJK555
05-22-2012, 01:38 PM
I just opened a 16X32 in ground Vinyl liner pool that has a concrete coping backed up with concrete pavers forming a deck. The coping was made from coloured concrete and was painted in the past. Last year I did some spot repairs on the coping and repainted the whole thing to match colours. This year, when removing the water bags and winter cover there was a number of areas where the coping had spalled and the new paint had flaked. The flaking paint I can deal with but I am concerned about the spalling/flaking concrete. Any suggestion on how to address this problem will be appreciated.

David
http://i590.photobucket.com/albums/ss342/DJK555/Pool1S.jpg

Sean OBrien
05-28-2012, 04:05 PM
Top n Bond should be able to handle that for you. Just be sure to spend a goodly amount of time on the surface prep to make sure you remove any loose concrete, dust, paint and anything else that might interfere with the bond (since it is around the pool, I would flood the area with fresh water a couple of times to remove any residual chemicals as well).

After you resurface it, a good quality sealer should help keep it that way. Although I don't recall seeing a specific article on the matter - almost all the spalled concrete I have ever fixed in the past was painted...so if nothing other than superstition, I would probably use a pigment or stain on the concrete instead of paint.