PDA

View Full Version : Water balanced, new filter, still hazy...

sunlove
05-22-2012, 01:00 PM
I'm wondering if I am doing everything right...you awesome folks have helped me a lot this season, and I've learned so much here. I'd love to hear your thoughts! We were hoping to have sparkly water by this weekend but it still has a haze. Pools been open for a month now. You can see the bottom floor but not that well. No algae, no film, however there is some settled dust on bottom waiting to get vacuumed when I can see it better. I get in and clean walls and stir it up every other day.

I've been running the new cartridge filter for 10-12 hrs a day since we installed it Thursday afternoon. That's something like turning over the pool water a couple times a day...psi has not risen but a hair. Using BBB for past 3 weeks. Have not added anything other than bleach and dry acid lately. Thinking about adding a dose of clarifier but not sure.

Ph- 7.6
TC- 2
TA- 170
(no hardness)
CYA- 20

I lose some cl during day when it's sunny. Ran out of dichlor tabs for floater, going to get some more on payday...just adding a dose of bleach every other day now. I'm working on getting my TA down, it was 180 and I am adding acid when the ph rises, and have return jet pointed up. I let it get up to 7.8 then I drop it to 7.5, every few days. Don't really have a "goal" number just doing this until ph stops drifting up which will prob be all summer :) Hope this is what I should be doing but looking for other ideas!!

aylad
05-22-2012, 02:07 PM
If you're adding the acid to try to keep the pH down, then turn the return jet pointed back down--riffling the water by turning the jet upwards is causing your pH to rise. If you're adding the acid to try to lower TA, then you can drop your pH with the acid to 7.0, and make more of a difference each time than you are if you're only lowering it by 0.3 every time. Really though, if you're going to use stabilized chlorine, your TA is just fine where it is, and if your fill water is high, then you're wasting your time and acid in trying to lower it because it will rise again any time you need to top off the pool.

Once you start using the dichlor again, it will help keep your pH down, because it is very acidic. You do, however, want to keep an eye on your CYA because dichlor will raise it quickly.

sunlove
05-22-2012, 02:55 PM
Janet, I am glad I posted this because it didn't occur to me to test my tap water, and you are right! The TA of the tap water is 250, so I guess I won't worry about that anymore. :/

Watermom
05-22-2012, 03:36 PM
By the way, I think your tabs are trichlor, not dichlor.

sunlove
05-22-2012, 11:08 PM
They are indeed trichlor, my bad! ;)