PDA

View Full Version : Please help - quick question - is soda ash OK?

haeffnkr
05-19-2006, 10:08 PM
Before I found this site I bought a big tub of soda ash from the pool store, last year.

I just opened my pool today.
My PH is really low like less than 6.8 so I put in 4 pounds of soda ash.

The local store has borax -

Since I already have the Leslie soda ash is the a problem with using it to raise PH?
I will of course by borax from the store sooner or later.
Please let me know - will run up there now if I have too.
thanks Kevin

CarlD
05-19-2006, 10:21 PM
No, there's nothing wrong with Soda Ash--just be careful, it's caustic.

Soda Ash DOES raise Total Alkalinity as well as raising pH--and if your pH was 6.8, it was probably lower--most kits measure down to 6.8, but no lower. If your pool is vinyl you want to get pH to 6.9, minimum QUICKLY!

Total Alk is fine up to 125ppm for concrete pools, up to 180 for vinyl. So you have to watch it when you use soda ash. If your Tot Alk is low, and so's your pH, Soda Ash is PERFECT. Otherwise, Borax is usually better for raising pH.

haeffnkr
05-19-2006, 10:26 PM
I have a fiberglass pool.
I just put in another 4 pounds, mixed with water before I threw it in the pool.

So hopefully in the morning it will read something.
Or should I add more tonight?

My chlorie is nill also, just put pucks in the chlorinator and one package of shock...again I have stuff left over....but I think I might go get some bleach now for a quick fix?

thanks for the quick help!
Kevin

CarlD
05-19-2006, 10:32 PM
Rule #1) Don't keep putting stuff in your without testing.

Rule #2) Be sure to follow Rule #1)!

Pucks and di-chlor powder are EXTREMELY acidic. If you are fighting low pH, stop using pucks and powder COMPLETELY! You are making the problem worse. In fact, they may be the cause of the problem.

Instead use bleach/Liquid Chlorine. Or, if your calcium is low, you can use Cal-Hypo.

Since you said chlorine is low, you need to raise it, without making your pH trouble worse.

haeffnkr
05-19-2006, 10:42 PM
I am testing....best I can with my new kit from Ben.

my ph is 6.8 - OTO test
my chlorine is less than .5 (none) using the OTO test
my cya is 20
My alk is 200.

I thought I was to get the PH right before I worried about ALK?

What else do I need?

thanks for the help!

CarlD
05-19-2006, 10:57 PM
OK,

Since your pH is low and your T/A is high, get some Borax from the local supermarket (20 Mule Team Borax, in the green box. Buy 4 boxes for now).

Add one box. Check pH in 2 hours (T/A will go up a little). Keep adding a box at a time until your pH reaches 7.0 or higher. When pH hits 7.0, you are in the clear. Then get to work on raising your FC level to 12ppm to shock your water.

In the meantime you need to aerate your water to raise pH without raising T/A at all. Leave the pool uncovered and the filter on. If you can, angle the return jet up to surface. Or you can put in a screw-in fountain that replaces the return's outlet for about $20. Be sure pH is between 7.0 and 7.2 when you start this (6.9 is OK).

Now test your water with Ben's powder kit--it's far more accurate and revealing.

haeffnkr
05-19-2006, 11:09 PM
This is crazy....
I just rechecked the alk and used the dropper a little slower ...
Then I used the OTO kit and

alk = 180

I just used the OTO kit - twice and now the chlorine and PH are over the scale on both.... over 10 and 8.2

I just put this stuff in the pool my pump is running on filter.