PDA

View Full Version : Organic stains on liner

joelg2k
05-19-2012, 07:58 AM
Hello,

i have been opening my in-gound pool for many years without significant issues - however this year, i have a few stains on the liner at the bottom of the pool (shallow end) that seemed to have come from leaves and dead worms accumulating in some spots.

The attempts to brush them off after shocking the pool didn't do much. I read few posts on how to remove stains but they all seem to refer to mineral stains, so I was wondering if someone faced the same type of stains and what is the best solution to get rid of them
Thank you

Joelg2k

PoolDoc
05-19-2012, 10:32 PM
Usually, such stains will lighten over time if you are chlorinating adequately.

You can push levels higher, but I can't make recommendations about how how, without knowing your CYA level. Dealer 'guess-strip' readers are a bit more accurate than the 'Mark 1 Eyeball', but still very, very inaccurate. You'd be better off getting a K-2006, but that's your choice. (More info in the test kit page in my signature.)

joelg2k
05-20-2012, 06:29 PM
PoolDoc,

thanks for the info - my current CYA level is between 30 and 35 ppm. How high can I shock the pool without taking the risk to damage the liner ?

Thanks again

Joelg2k

PoolDoc
05-20-2012, 10:35 PM
There's no safe answer to that -- some liners are not color fast, period. We've researched this extensively, and have not found ANY way to distinguish the color-fast ones from the non-color-fast ones, except to note that, if yours bleaches out at moderate chlorine levels . . . then it's one of the not-fast ones. :(

That said, you *should* be able to hold the 'shock' levels in the Best Guess chart (see link in my signature) without problems. No guarantees, however.