PDA

View Full Version : Pristine Blue to Chlorine?

Kreebog
05-19-2006, 01:49 PM
Hi all,

I've been reading a lot on PoolSolutions.com and these forums and I'm sold - I want to switch to the three B's this year.

My pool was running Pristine Blue last year... I haven't seen anyone mention a conversion from Pristine Blue to Chlorine, so I wanted to double check that it was safe and make sure that there aren't any extra or special steps that I need to follow.

Thanks!

-Jim

waterbear
05-19-2006, 05:53 PM
Pristine Blue is copper. IMHO, for properly sanitized water you still need to run a residual FC of at least .5 ppm chlorine with a copper based system. The Pristine Blue system uses a monopersulfate shock (Pristine Power) and recommends a .9 ppm level of copper in the water. Monopersulfate is your standard non chlorine shock and is NOT a sanitizer.
There really isn't any conversion you need to do but you DO need to be aware that there is copper in your water and will probably have to use a metal sequstering agent to prevent staining problems.
Have your copper levels checked and if they are above about .3 ppm add a sequestering agent to help prevent staining and then just start using chlorine.
The copper will not really ever leave your pool unless your drain and refill (or it stains the pool, but it CAN redissolve if the pH goes low).
For more info check out this thread
http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthread.php?t=98