PDA

View Full Version : How to fix a plumbing leak?

JohnASmith
05-16-2012, 11:26 AM
859860I hired a leak detection company who, after 4 hours of testing, put a mark on my deck and said "Dig here you'll find the leak". Sure enough there it was but almost completely embedded in gunite. I have been chipping away slow and carefully so as not to damage other pipes or fittings. As the picture shows the PVC pipe is bulging and is not properly connected to the fitting and it leaks badly. Eventually I will get the gunite cleared all the way around it so I can execute a repair. That’s my problem, how to repair it? The way the fittings are so interconnected I can’t take it apart and reassemble it. My thought is repairing it with epoxy putty. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

JohnASmith
05-16-2012, 05:53 PM
861 It just occurred to me that I should circle the problem area.

JohnASmith
05-17-2012, 03:22 PM

I haven't heard from anyone but here are a couple more pictures. I was able to chip gunite away and expose the PVC plumbing involved. The arrow is pointing to where the leak is. Now I need an effective method to patch it, hopefully permanently. PLEASE, I need suggestions.

Watermom
05-17-2012, 06:45 PM
I've asked our resident master plumber (PoolDoc) to take a look at your thread for you.

JohnASmith
05-18-2012, 12:49 AM
Thank you Watermom. The good news is, I measured the gallons being lost thru that defective fitting and it is very close, actually more, than the amount I estimated was being lost from the pool. If I find a reasonable method to patch it I will install an access plate in the concrete so I can keep an eye on it.

Phillbo
05-18-2012, 04:25 PM
Is that a trap ? If so , can you cut it out and install a smaller one? Or just a straight piece of PVC?

JohnASmith
05-19-2012, 12:08 PM
Not a trap. What you are looking at is a mixer assembly with pressure air from one 2" line and water from another 2" line. The other side of that assembly goes thru the pool wall. It can't be touched without causing severe damage. I have managed to stop the leak with a temporary fix. I wrapped the affected area with a 1/2" rubber tape I found in the plumbing dept at Lowes and put a couple of hose clamps on it. We used the pool yesterday and not a drop of water leaked. When I find a similar, but wider, rubber tape I will redo it and call it good.

TheGoose
05-19-2012, 10:42 PM
What does that flex pvc go to?

JohnASmith
05-20-2012, 02:29 PM
What does that flex pvc go to?

There are 18 mixer/jet assemblies in the pool fed by a 2 HP water pump and an air blower.

JohnASmith
06-03-2012, 02:21 PM
I think my latest effort will be a permanent repair. I located a heavy 2" wide rubber tape that is actually made for insulating and waterproofing electrical splices and is made by 3M. It is very similar to the 1" rubber tape I had already installed but didn't have 100% confidence in because it only lapped a 1/2" each side of the leak. I left the 1" in place since it has worked fine for a couple of weeks and put the heavier 2" on top of it. I was able to stretch it to a very tight wrap. After putting the hose clamps back in place it is likely stronger now than the pipe it repairs. Next I will reinstall the jets and run the air blower to check everything under pressure. After passing that final test I will wrap the hose clamps and fill the hole.