PDA

View Full Version : I'm having issues!

krissy
05-15-2012, 11:30 PM
I have a 15ft round Intex pool, my husband purchased it for me last year as a gift! Well my first issue was iron in my water (I have well water), I have figured out how to clear that issue. Although it takes me 2 weeks to have a sparkling clear pool. Here is where my issue started, last November there was a tragic accident one of the neighborhood cats fell into the pool and died :(. I didn't realize until a few days later, because I had already closed the pool for the winter. Well by the time I realized the pool had already turned green. I drained the pool in March and cleaned cleaned cleaned it. Then I refilled it, dealt with the iron, then about a month ago the pool turned green over night (literally). I got a shock with aglaecide. The pool turned white cloudy, so I thought I had gotten rid of the problem, but a few days later it was green again. Then I tried the bleach with no luck. I don't have a way getting my water tested, because of transportation issues. So I was wondering if anyone knows a way I could get my beautiful pool back? One thing I noticed was the pool turned green the third time my sister had gotten into the pool for a little while the day before, and she had just dyed her hair blonde and pink (don't ask lol).

aylad
05-16-2012, 07:19 AM
Hi krissy, and welcome to the forum!!

First off, you need to get a test kit so you can do your own water testing. We highly recommend the K-2006 kit that can be bought online at the link below in my sig. Without water testing, trying to get a sparkling pool back is at best a hit-and-miss deal, and you've already seen what happens when you miss!!.

Secondly, when you say you"figured out how to clear that issue", what do you mean? Are you filtering it out, using metal sequestrants, and if so, which one?

Third, When you say you used a "shock with algaecide", what exactly are the ingredients in it? What are you using for your chlorine source?

Fourth, Can you tell us what size pump and size/type filter you have? Have you cleaned the filter during this project? Is the pressure gauge showing a rise in pressure as you are filtering the pool?

Among other things you almost certainly aren't keeping your chlorine high enough--but we need to know more about your filter and metals situation in order to give good advice.

krissy
05-17-2012, 12:02 AM
I am about to buy a test kit. The only way I have gotten rid of the iron was, I leave my filter on continuously and I put an old shock on the skimmer basket. I just rinse the sock and filter every three hours til the pool is clear. I get the shock with algaecide from walmart, all I can tell you is the name (Aqua Chem Shock Xtra Blue). I use half the bag for the first treatment and the second half a week later. I am also using the chlorine 3" tablets, as soon as one completely dissolves I put another one in. As my filter goes it is a Intex 1,000 gallons/hour pump. I clean my filter 3x daily. I can't tell you anything about the pressure because my pump doesn't have a gauge, it does have a release valve type thing on the top though.

====================================

I used my fish tank test kit for ph and the ph level is 7.0.

PoolDoc
05-17-2012, 08:18 AM
Hi Krissy;

Please read the test kit page in my signature. The ONLY good test kit available locally to anyone, is the HTH 6-way (http://www.walmart.com/ip/HTH-6-Way-Test-Kit/17043668) made by Taylor and sold by Walmart. Unfortunately, I checked, and none of the Walmarts in your area carry it.

Also, I'm pretty familiar with your area -- I serviced the big Z-shaped pool by the river for a number of years, till the city tried to stiff me, the same year all the police got arrested for selling dope. And, if you are on well water -- be careful. Some of the worst water I've ever dealt with comes out of wells in that area, filled with iron & manganese. It's very tricky to deal with.

So do this:

1. Find out what it costs to drain and refill your pool -- that's the fastest way to clean it up. But do NOT do so yet! You need a plan, first.
2. You need another source for chlorine. Bleach and borax from Walmart is fine, but the Aqua Chem products are AWFUL -- they are blended and diluted, and should be avoided.
3. Are you on well water? I'm guessing that, since you have iron, you are.
4. Can you order from Amazon? The easiest way (and maybe, the cheapest) is to buy from Amazon.
5. Check and see if your Walmart will order the HTH 6 way for you -- it's the best deal out there, and is compatible with the Taylor K-2006, which you'll need eventually.
6. Let me know if you use the A, B, or C Intex filter. The pools are pretty decent, but the cartridges are awful. Especially cleaning up iron or manganese, it will be much easier with a Unicel cartridge, but they are a little tricky to match up.