PDA

View Full Version : Sequestrant/Scale Inhibitor for agg. finish?

BillyBumbler
05-19-2006, 03:38 AM
I have a new IG pool and the company who applied the aggregate finish, in this case the trade name is Gemstone, left me a bottle of red stuff labeled as a scale inhibitor/sequestrant that I HAVE to add, and convieniently, need to purchase regularly from them. The only ingredient mentioned is phosphonic acid, and I'm supposed to maintain 8ppm of it according to the label by adding 8 oz. per 10,000 gal. weekly. Anyway I don't want to add any more chemicals than I have to and my initial impression is that this is an unnecesary pocket lining gesture. I am a pessimist I admit, but the label makes it clear that this is a permanent maintencance chemical. Opinions?

dalparadise
05-22-2006, 07:36 PM
I would bet that your instincts are correct here, but that they might not warrant a repair or service of the surface if you didn't follow their directions and add that stuff.

In any case, I'm confident that it's not necessary. It may be helpful in preventing calcium deposits on a rough surface, however. So, it may be good for someone who doesn't watch his water super-close. The more effective way to prevent scaling, I've found, is to keep Ph and TA in check...stops it before it starts.

duraleigh
05-22-2006, 10:54 PM
Hi, Billy,

Dal's advice is solid......manage your water properly and you will have no need for the product.