PDA

View Full Version : New liner question....

Waterdragon
05-18-2006, 11:50 PM
I was talking to my wife's aunt, who has an IG pool and was telling her about this cool forum and how I am converting to "bleach". Apparently this was not the first she had heard of using bleach. Her pool guy told her that there was something in Bleach other than the chlorine that eats the liner. Naturally he put her on the clorosticks and powdered shock. Is there any truth to what he told her? How long has everyone been using bleach? Ever had any liner problems?? I am loving this so far. I am about $50 into bleach and my Bacquiversion is almost complete. I could not be more impressed. ONE bottle of the sanitizer from Baquicrap is $30. Unbelievable.

CarlD
05-19-2006, 12:43 AM
The truth is: If you use bleach you aren't buying the pool store guy's expensive chemicals. Pool stores sell bleach ALL THE TIME! They sell Ultra Bleach as "6% Liquid Chlorine" but it's EXACTLY THE SAME as unscented Ultra Bleach--different label.

They are told bleach will damage liners and add "extra stuff" and they pass that on. It's pure BS. They also sell "Total Alkalinity Raiser" for $12 for 4 lbs. At that rate 12 lbs will cost $36. You can buy 12 lbs of Arm&Hammer baking soda at CostCo for $3.50 and THEY ARE BOTH SODIUM BICARBONATE!

I use bleach for chlorine, Baking soda to raise Tot Alk, Borax (yeah, the laundry product) to raise pH. MUCH cheaper!