PDA

View Full Version : Trouble with my Hayward EcoStar SVRS

BigDave
05-14-2012, 10:25 AM
Not asking a question here but documenting some trouble I'm having with my fancy new high efficiency variable speed pump. I submitted the the following to Hayward's customer service web form. Let's see what happens.

I am very unhappy with my new EcoStar SVRS. It pumps and it's quiet - good!

Trouble is with Standalone/Hayward vs Relay control modes. One of the reasons I purchased this pump was the relay inputs, I was under the impression that I could connect my solar panel controller (Gold Line 235) and activate a timer set up specifically for the solar and have it run a filtration program when the solar is not on.

Sadly, in standalone mode, the controler ignores the relay contact from the solar.

OK use relay mode.

In relay mode the timers are completely ignored (although settable, very frustrating) but it does respond to the contact closure from the solar controller.

OK, maybe I can live with the pump running at 1000rpm 24x7 and increasing when the solar is called but again no! When the solar contact closes and the valve opens, the pump comes up in speed then trips on SVRS while filling the solar- AAAARGH!

Please help. At this point, I'd have a much more usable pump with a simple two speed at a fraction of the price.

BigDave
06-03-2012, 12:29 PM
Never heard back from Hayward on the Web form other than the automatic "We have recieved your ..." email. Several days later, I called Hayward. The number's not on the website, I found it in my manual.

I spoke with someone from Hayward's pump support, he wasn't pleasant or helpful. I described the situation and heard alot of "What makes you think you can do that?" and "The manual doesn't specifically state the relay works with the timers." and "It's not our problem you didn't understand that when you bought the pump." and "To do that you need a proper automation system.". My interpretation was "We can't and won't help you - you're hosed.". At one point he asked if I had a controller for the solar, I replied that I have a Hayward / Goldline GL-235. I heard a click, silence, then ringing. No I'll transfer you, please hold, nothing.

Goldline support picked up the call and tenor was completely opposite the Hayward rep. I was somewhat agitated and described my conversation with the Hayward rep. while describing the trouble I was having. The Goldline Rep. apologized (unnecessarily) and we were able to discuss options. I told him I could live with running the pump at a low speed 24/7 allowing the GL-235 contact closure to call for higher speed for heating but that when the valve would divert water to the panels, the pump would trip on SVRS.

The Goldline rep. asked me to hold (after taking my phone numbers in case we wre disconnected) and returned a few minutes later with an offer from a Hayward service manager to trade my SVRS drive with a regular variable speed drive. I told him thanks and that I'd need to think about it, he gave me his extension to call back. I called two days later and agreed to this plan, the Hayward Service manager shipped the VS drive to me arriving before the Holiday weekend. I woke up early on Saturday and had the new drive installed before breakfast.

The pump works fine now and responds to the solar call for heat without tripping off. I'm pretty happy - out the price differenttial between the VS and SVRS model but my fault for not understanding that mechanism better.

Lessons learned:
The Hayward EcoStar's built-in timers / controller will not work with the included relay contacts - it is one or the other.
The SVRS option is not compatible with roof mounted solar panels.
The EcoStar AutoPrime function does not respect the Max Speed setting and AutoPrime must be set to 3 Minute Prime or it will attempt to prime at full speed, a problem if your filter / plumbing is not made for the full flow of this 2HP 1.35SF pump.