PDA

View Full Version : Ready to use my pool..But I have low cya what to do ?

ramoniqque
05-14-2012, 10:06 AM
The weather is nice and we will start using the pool soon.. The water is now cloudy because I was shocking to get rid of algae. I did not cover the pool all winter so I had to shock several times due to rain , leaves, pollen and so on.
Current readings are as follows:
FC 3.0
PH 7.4
TA 60
CYA 10
CH 70

I still have a bucket of trichlor tabs left bought prior to discovering your forum. I started adding a somewhat smashed tab of trichlor in a sock in front of the return so that I can add cya to the pool. I'm worried taht this method will be too slow. Should I go out and just buy the cya? Can I dissolve several tabs of trichlor in a bucket of pool water to speed up the addition of cya to the pool, or will that make the chlorine settle on the pool floor and ruin my liner? Speaking of my liner , the CH is also low , what is the ideal range for that ? You've helped me tremendously last summer and I had no problem with the pool following your advice. Thank you!

PoolDoc
05-14-2012, 11:54 AM
Go to Walmart, and a buy a couple of trichlor floaters, like this (or you can use the Amazon link if you prefer)

Kem-Tek 879 Pool Floating Tablet Dispenser Pool and Spa Accessories (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000FJVRAS/poolbooks)

Put your trichlor in it. (If you don't want to go to Walmart, and have Amazon 'Prime' (http://www.amazon.com/gp/prime/?tag=poolbooks), 2 day shipping is free. If you use Amazon a lot, Prime is a good deal -- otherwise, not so much.)

Watermom
05-14-2012, 07:08 PM
With a vinyl liner, you don't have to worry about calcium hardness levels unless they get too high, in which case you'll have cloudy water issues.

ramoniqque
05-15-2012, 10:11 AM
Thank you both for your reply..I read somewhere that CYA does not show up in the test only a week after it was added or disolved in the pool. I'm trying to see how many trichlor pucks should I add.. My pool is a 33' standard round. I only had the pool open for a about 1 month 1/2 last summer so I did not really found out the ideal numbers for my pool, but I am in GA .. the pool gets full sun until about 6 pm.. can you guys take a guess at what my ideal numbers should look like ?

Also watermom.. does that mean that I can leave the CH just as it is at at 70 ?
Thank you so much !

PoolDoc
05-15-2012, 02:30 PM
-- you can leave the CH @ 70; CH is NOT an issue in vinyl pool (contrary to all the pool stores, who want to sell you some) UNLESS the CH is too HIGH.

-- add tabs to add chlorine, not CYA. BUT, monitor your CYA level, so you can stop using tabs before it gets too high.

-- Pool numbers are not a target; rather, nice safe clear pool water is the target! To achieve that, there is an acceptable RANGE of numbers, and if you are in the range, you should NOT try to hit a 'target'. Over-treating and over-adjusting pool water is a common, common cause of pool water troubles.

ramoniqque
05-16-2012, 08:41 AM
Thank you, I kind of knew all this but I just wanted to have some idea where my numbers should be especially in the case of CYA since once it gets too high it is not so easy to get it down...

PoolDoc
05-16-2012, 01:05 PM
CYA target sort of depends on how you decide to chlorinate your pool . . .

ramoniqque
05-16-2012, 10:07 PM
Liquid bleach seems to be the best option.. and maybe once in a while these trichlor I already have.. and only when I need to rise up the CYA # after a backwash or whenever it may get low for whatever reason..

PoolDoc
05-16-2012, 10:20 PM
If you use bleach to 'shock' and trichlor in a floater to hold a decent FC (free chlorine) level, you can run your CYA anywhere from 40 to 100 ppm. At higher levels, you'll need to raise your chlorine level to compensate -- but you'll be able to go multiple days without adding chlorine, which is nice if you have to leave the pool for a few days.

An easy way to handle it is to do what it takes to get to CYA=40ppm, and then use trichlor and bleach and let it climb slowly. Just remember to adjust your chlorine level upwards as the CYA goes up. ('Best Guess' chart link in my sig)

ramoniqque
05-17-2012, 07:13 AM
Thank you so much ,you guys are the best .That is an excellent suggestion..

ramoniqque
06-20-2012, 01:02 PM
Every time I log on I get this msg..

"ramoniqque, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Is My account not activated? I signed up last year and it was working fine..
I have a question regarding the fine dust that settles at the bottom of the pool.. I brush and vacuum but then 2 days later it is there again.. maybe it gets kicked back in the pool ? I called the local pool store and they recommended " sand revitalizer" or I read something here about a skimmer sock but some people said it does not work . so what is the best option?I like my pool to be spotless

aylad
06-26-2012, 03:02 PM
Sorry this got missed until now--I'll get Ben to take a look and see what's going on.

I get sand/dust/pollen in my pool all the time, and it does the same as yours--just settles back in over a couple of days. You can vac it out to waste, or just keep it stirred up in the water so that the filter can get it...that's normal. I have used skimmer socks, and they work wonderfully--it's amazing how much stuff those things catch!

Janet

PoolDoc
06-26-2012, 03:23 PM
The only way I can check is to change your password, so I can log in as you, and see what's happening. Before I do that, if you'd post the EXACT link you are using to log in (or where you are having the problem) I may be able to tell what the issue is.