PDA

View Full Version : recovering fiberglas coping around older inground pool

moneypit48
05-10-2012, 10:05 PM
Have an older in-ground Polynesian pool that I just converted from a low hung liner to a high hung liner. It is a 16x32 that was installed in 1975 and the Fiberglas coping ( I think that's what they call it) around the top edge of the pool is starting to show it's age really bad. I talked to the two guys who installed the new liner,but they didn't give me much usable input. I took a couple of pictures of the problem today,but they won't let me attach anything at this time. The coping like I said, is made out of Fiberglas and are squares roughly 8 x8. They are white and most have weather cracks on the topside being exposed to the sun constantly. A few of them have small chips missing out of them and the Fiberglas mat underneath is showing. Want to correct this situation before another winter and it getting worse. Anyone out there had this problem in the past and if so, what did you do to correct it ? Thanks.

Ted

polynesianpool
07-13-2012, 11:14 PM
I have the same problem with my Polynesian pool and it is around the same age. Mine also has up to 50 blisters in a couple of wall panels under the water line. Some are about the size of a pencil eraser tip and others are around 1.5' diameter. I had my liner replaced two years ago and was not aware that I could convert the pool to a high hung liner. I am not ready to spend $3-4,000 again for a new liner but the rest of the pool is really showing its age and with the weather cracks and small chips around the perimeter on the white tile it just looks like it needs to be repaired or I won't be happy with it. Have you found anyone that has been able to give you any idea of what to do with your pool? I would really like to hear what you find. Thanks.

Vince