PDA

View Full Version : Need help getting rid of 7 ppm combined chlorine

mtroyalm2
05-10-2012, 03:37 PM
1st time owning a pool and didn't do it right the 1st winter: no chlorine at all since end of summmer (only ran pump).

Need your help to get rid of 7 ppm combined chlorine so that we can jump into the water!!!.

IG 24,000 gallon plaster
FC 2.5
CC 7
CYA 50 (was 90 last summer)
TA 150
pH 8

Water is clear (enough so for 1st-time 1st-year owner :-) ).

Did read http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthread.php?9547 but mine is plaster (the other one has liner).

From what I read, to get rid of the CC, I need 10 times the level of CC. But that would mean 70 ppm of chlorine. If this is what it takes, then I'll do it but need your guidance/confirmation before I pour that much chlorine into the pool.

Also got conflicting suggestion when searching web for "combined chlorine calculator", several suggest that I put in 14 ppm of chlorine.

Thanks for your help. This is my 1st post on this forum.

aylad
05-10-2012, 03:44 PM
Hi, welcome to the forum!!

A high CC and lowered CYA over the winter indicates that your CYA was probably eaten by bacteria, which then "poop" ammonia, causing the high CC. It can be fixed, but it's going to take lots and lots of chlorine. Shock level for CYA of 50 is 15 ppm, so you'll meed to raise your chlorine toorabove 15 ppm, and then hold it there until the CC clears. This may take a few days, and WILL take lots of chlorine, but it needs to be done.

mtroyalm2
05-10-2012, 05:09 PM
Thanks for the quick reply.

I will starting pouring chlorine into the pool and hold it to 15 ppm, as suggesed.

mtroyalm2
05-10-2012, 08:02 PM
I need to follow up with a newbie question.

I read that it's better to pour chlorine in the evening to avoid burn-off by sunlight.

About "hold it there", do I need to check every evening and pour the right amount **each evening**? Or do I check every hour or so and keep pouring in **throughout** the day for several days?

Thanks again.

Watermom
05-10-2012, 09:04 PM
Not every hour, but as often as is reasonable, definitely in the evenings. The more often you test and add enough bleach to get back to shock level, the faster this process will go.