PDA

View Full Version : Do I really need to brush the sides?

SafetyBob
05-09-2012, 11:25 AM
As you can see below, I have a much smaller Intex pool than most of you (don't worry, I plan on going up to the next model each year as I get more comfortable with all this stuff), here is my question. I know it's not exactly a chemistry question, but it does relate heavily to chemistry......do I need to brush the sides of the "kiddie" pool every week or so? I do not have problems with the green stuff......my pool is occasionally cloudy and changing the filter usually takes care of that after a couple of hard Saturday and Sunday kiddie play days in the pool. I do use my triangle vacuum/brush for the floor which usually has some sand on it at the end of two days, but that's it. Are we assuming the kiddie pool has no filtration system in it?

What makes me ask this question is that it is on the "Maintaining Kiddie Pool Chemistry" web page on poolsolutions website, it is recommended that the brush be used on floor and walls. That would make sense if I had problems with alot of organic stuff falling in the pool, but it's covered all the time it's not used. If I don't have any problems (that I am aware of), is brushing just good upkeep, like checking chemistry everyday? Considering the pool gets used hard on the weekend should I simply and quickly brush the sides just to ensure nothing grows there before I put it to bed on Sunday evening? I am afraid I need to be guided here.....not seeing why I need to do this if I have no problems.

Bob E.

BigDave
05-09-2012, 11:29 AM
When I had the Intex donut, I'd brush the sides whenever they started to get a little slippery.

Watermom
05-09-2012, 07:37 PM
If you maintain the chemistry properly, you shouldn't feel slipperiness which is a sign of an impending algae bloom. To be honest, I don't brush my pool weekly but my chemistry is consistent. Plus, I vacuum several times a week and the vac head has brushes on the bottom so it kind of kills two chores at once.