PDA

View Full Version : Bleed the air out of the filter?

expose
05-18-2006, 06:35 PM
I have a Hayward S200 High-Rate Sand Filter. It has a "Manual Air Relief Cap" at the very top. The Owner's Guide refers to it in the Parts Breakdown, but never says anything about using it. Do I need to bleed the air out of the filter? If so, when should I do it, and what is the procedure?

I have concerns that it might not be filtering right, and just want to make certain that I'm using it properly.

mshumack
05-19-2006, 01:04 PM
I have a Hayward S200 High-Rate Sand Filter. It has a "Manual Air Relief Cap" at the very top. The Owner's Guide refers to it in the Parts Breakdown, but never says anything about using it. Do I need to bleed the air out of the filter? If so, when should I do it, and what is the procedure?

I have concerns that it might not be filtering right, and just want to make certain that I'm using it properly.

When the filter is new and when/if you get air in from servicing it you need to bleed the air out.
One way to tell if you have air in the filter is when the pump stops running - watch for a surge/burp of water back into the pool. If it occurs it may be because there is air trapped in the filter. The air gets compressed somewhat in the top of the filter by the water pressure so when the pump is turned off the air expands and pushes the water out.
It is alos dangerous to have this build up of air in the filter. You should run the pump and open the bleed until a steady stream of water comes out. Once the flow is steady close the bleed valve and your done.

GreenLight
05-19-2006, 01:18 PM
It is alos dangerous to have this build up of air in the filter. You should run the pump and open the bleed until a steady stream of water comes out. Once the flow is steady close the bleed valve and your done.
What about if your filter does not have an air-bleed? I just bought a Haywood S244T, which does not have a bleed on the multi-port valve. It does sound like there is air in there, but I have no way to bleed it out.