PDA

View Full Version : error code 170 on Aqualink RS Water Purification system

JerryW
05-08-2012, 12:24 PM
How do I trouble shoot the following error code? "Possible Front board service condition or unit not correctly wired to 115 VAC"

PoolDoc
05-09-2012, 06:53 AM
Electronic controller problems are too specific for us to be able to help with regularly. But, basically, what you need to do is:

1. Read the manuals carefully -

http://www.zodiacpoolsystems.com/products/controls/~/media/Zodiac/Global/Downloads/6593.ashx
http://www.zodiacpoolsystems.com/products/controls/~/media/Zodiac/Global/Downloads/6919.ashx
2. Go through the trouble shooting process step-by-step, and learn the lingo used.

3. If you can't resolve the problem, call Zodiac at 800-822-7933. The level 1 techs are going to tend to walk you through the process you've already gone through in #2; use the info you've gained to try to get to level 2 techs. If they can't help you, repost here. We may be able to reach someone at Zodiac.

JerryW
05-09-2012, 11:40 AM
This is what Error Code 170 says: "Possible Front board service condition or unit not correctly wired to 120 VAC. Contact an authorized service representative" I had no way to test the board other than to check the connections so I called out my Local Service Rep. He swapped out front board and back board but no change. Swapped out flow sensor and problem solved (original front and back boards re-installed). $395 for part and labor.
FYI; I have the old style salt cell and flow sensor that are in two separate locations in piping. The new style salt cell that has the integral flow sensor port is having flow sensor problems. So, when I have to replace my cell, I will leave the old style flow sensor in it's location and put a plug in the new cell's flow sensor port.
Also: when this problem first started, my PDA started showing a salinity level of 25,500 instead of the normal 3000 to 3500 range. I found out that that was due to the flow sensor failure. At the time, I could not find any information as to why the 25,500 reading was coming up. Maybe if I had found this site back then, I could have saved a lot of time and frustration.

PoolDoc
05-09-2012, 12:21 PM
Unfortunately, we have minimal info on electronic service codes, and as you describe, they are not always helpful.

I do NOT love electronics, anymore.

I got my first PC in 1983, and I used to be all excited about this or that gadget. Now, they are just something else to learn, and then forget, when it breaks or is replaced 2 years later. I've got a Droid X phone, and when I first got it some of the kids that saw it were all, "That's so cool". Well, it's too big. The screen is too small. Verizon has loaded up with goop I don't want. I've rooted it twice so I can control what's loaded, but then have to restore it so I can upgrade. I've got to root it again. Yuck. I've got to get an iPad, because so many users here are using them, and I need to know how it works for them. Actually, I don't mind that: my wife will be able to use it at school once I'm done with it.

My personal view is that most modern pool controllers only do things that either could be done more reliably with timers and switches OR that are just 'sizzle' and 'cool-ness' but no 'steak' and no 'substance'.

From the point of view of the forum, electronics are a total pain in the support. It's EXACTLY like what's happened at my church's facility: it has (now) about a dozen electronic thermostats, in FIVE different makes or models and NONE of them work alike. So, to set the temperature, you have to learn 5 completely different control interfaces. Most of the deacons can't adjust them, so I end up standing in front of them periodically, trying to figure out (again) how the stupid thing works.

That's where we are, here, except even if I want to (I don't!) I can't stand in front of your gizmo. So, I can't help. There are dozens of models from half a dozen companies and they are all different.

Bottom line: when you go electronic, you are mostly on your own, when it breaks.

There are not enough "AquaLink RS" users out there in any one place, for good support to exist. And since there are several "AquaLink RS" models, even the service guys don't know them well!

As I said, yuck!

Wanna ask me about VFD (electronic) pumps versus 2 speed pumps with an electromechanical timer?? :o

JerryW
05-09-2012, 12:43 PM
Thanks, Doc. Funny you should mention phones. My second expenditure yesterday was a HTC Rezound from Verizon (my old Blackberry was not cutting it any more). To say I am overwhelmed and the learning curve is vertical is an understatement. I guess I should just take some deep breaths and chalk it up to transitioning to having a PC in my pocket.

PoolDoc
05-09-2012, 01:28 PM
Yeah. It took a little while to get used to my Droid. Actually, what I had the most problems with, was texting. I *hate* texting. Trying to type with my thumbs seems to me like trying to start a fire with 2 sticks: why would ANYONE want to do that.

Funny story: Google Voice allows me to SMS from a keyboard. My pastor's wife and I have both worked with a group of Burundian refugees our church has helped, and occasionally we have to communicate. She doesn't answer her phone much; she runs a week behind on her email, but she's a texting demon. On occasion, she's buried me with a stream of 10 texts. (Barf, gag, leave me alone!) But, I put a stop to that: the last 2 times she texted me, I didn't respond till I had access to G. Voice. I'm a fairly fast typist, and it's nothing for me to rip off a 3,000 character 'text'. So I replied . . . and she blasted back with a sequence of 3 texts. I replied with about 3,000 characters BEFORE she'd finished her stream, and then with another 1,000 afterwards. But she was off and running again. Long story short, I out'texted' her 10 characters to 1, so her 'text' stream was a horrible mangle of mixed partial messages from me and from her -- completely incomprehensible. Then, after she finally stopped, I waited awhile and sent her a "What about this ?" which was buried in the middle of my mess. Long pause. Then answer, which I followed with another "What about". Pause. Answer. "I gotta go to bed text" (She'd started this about 11 pm).

A week or so later, she did it again . . . and so did I.

She calls me, now. ;)

JerryW
05-09-2012, 03:58 PM
I love brevity.

PoolDoc
05-09-2012, 08:35 PM
I only love it when I'm texting . . . or tired of typing. :)

Watermom
05-09-2012, 10:07 PM
After knowing Ben for so many years, I can vouch for him on this one. He's not usually into brevity. :p But, he is a very good writer!