PDA

View Full Version : results with PS233 with questions(of course)

marocema
05-18-2006, 04:37 PM
PS233 kit results
AG vinyl 21' X 52" appr 13,500 gallons

pH 7.2 (I know I want 7.3-7.8 but I am thinking I am pretty close right?)

TC this has gone from orange to a light orange over a week(am I heading in the right direction?)

FC went from 15 to now 11.5 a week later, I am guessing when I look at how high my cya is that I am heading in the right direction on this as well, right?

CC this reads 0 (odd?)

Alk 200....

CYA is reading 70(uhmm I had a mishap with the panty hose trick in front of the jet, let's just say the neighbors got a show)

So now I need help, this is only my second season with the pool and my first real opening. The water is crystal clear, and I know I need to get in there and vaccum. So I have been running the heater for about a week(yes the gas company has a nice poster of me in the break room I'm sure). Am I getting clsoe on these numbers? Any suggestions?

Thanks so much to all of you! You all are the best.
Robin(marocema)(NE Ohio)

duraleigh
05-18-2006, 05:28 PM
Hi, Robin,

I think you have done an excellent job. The numbers aren't quite as critical as you might think.

pH - 7.2 is fine...just monitor it for changes. 7.2 - 7.8 all acceptable.

TC - Yeah a little high but coming down. more will be consumed in the next few days. Do this test when you also test pH to give you an approximate idea of where your Cl is.

FC & CC - this test is when you want/need an accurate result for your Cl. The sum of your FC & your CC = TC.

So, from your tests we know that your TC test (the one where you add the 5 drops) is light orange or, roughly, higher than five at least.

Now, since you wanted a more accurate reading, (you don;t always have to do this one) you tested with the powder and got a FC result of 11.5 and a CC of 0. Hence your TC was really 11.5 but you couldn't really tell that exactly with the TC test. The CC of 0 is not odd and, in fact, it's what you're hoping for.

With your CYA level of 70, 5-10ppm of Cl should be about right so you are pretty close already and will be within that range in the next day or so.

Your Alk is a little high. Run that test again in the next day or so, and if you get the same result, post back and someone will guide you how to get it down to a better level.

Cya of 70 is a little high but workable. (I'm not gonna' ask about the mishap :D ) It should stay there or drift down a little with you doing nothing for the rest of the Summer.

Back to pH for a bit...if you chlorinate with pucks, your CYA will increase (not good) and your pH will decrease (not good at all). In short, the pucks are not for you. Chlorinate with bleach or perhaps CalHypo....nothing else.

Synopsis - redo your Alk test to make sure that number is right and post your results. Let Cl drift down into 5-10 range and keep it there. Keep an eye on pH..stay 7.2 - 7.8. Enjoy your pool. Nice work.

I cannot tell you how easy it is to help someone who has done some homework and posted their tests in a logical, concise manner. Thanks.

That is so different than "HELP!! Party in three hours! Pool is green!! What should I do?" :) :)

marocema
05-19-2006, 07:00 AM
Thanks a bunch Dave I'll check on the Alk test and keep a close eye on the Chlorine.
have a great weekend!