PDA

View Full Version : help for dummies needed

alpom
05-07-2012, 01:47 PM
My second year with intex pool 24 x 52. First year tried pool supplies from walmart and it was total mess
This year started with testing fresh water got 7.8 PH
Added last night 2 gl 6% bleach. This morning my Taylor Basic Residential OT kit shows 7.8 PH, 3 CL

So looks i am ok now.
What is my next step?

Thanks!!!

aylad
05-07-2012, 05:39 PM
Keep your pH between 7.0 and 7.8, and keep your chlorine at 3-6 at all times. Until you put some stabilizer in the water, this may mean adding chlorine a few times a day. I'm assuming you have around 13,500 gallon capacity? If so, then each 1/2 gallon of 6% bleach will raise your Cl by about 2.2 ppm, so you can use that as a guide. You need to add some stabilizer. You can get it at WalMart in the spa chemical section in a 4 lb container. It's sometimes labeled stabilizer, or conditioner, or balancer, but if you'll look at the ingredient label, you should see cyanuric or isocyanuric acid as the ingredient. Follow label dosing to get to around 30 ppm, but instead of broadcasting it, put it in an old sock and hang it in front of a return so it will dissolve. Once you have stabilizer in the water, then the sun won't consume the chlorine as fast and it will be easier to keep the levels constant.

While you're at WalMart, if they have the hth 6-way test kit (drops, not strips!) get that--it will measure most anything you're going to need to measure. Be sparing with the CYA test, though, because that kit only has enough reagent to test it 3 or so times. Don't retest for CYA until all the powder in the sock has dissolved. Once you have CYA in the water, you'll need to adjust your chlorine levels a little bit....take a look at the link in my sig for the "best guess chlorine table" for more info about that.

Enjoy your pool!!

PoolDoc
05-07-2012, 08:04 PM
Get a cheap OTO / phenol red kit (you can continue use the pH test in the K1001)
Maintain chlorine levels of 1.5 - 3 ppm.
Tell me what, if any other chemicals you have added.
If at all possible, order a K-2006 (see testkit info page in sig)
Let me know what sort of filter you have.

alpom
05-08-2012, 09:50 AM
Added 1 lb backing soda and 4 gl 6% bleach
Will try to buy stabilizer today
Not sure what filter is this this is the pool: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Intex-24-x-52-Ultra-Frame-Pool/13012217

THANKS!!!

PoolDoc
05-08-2012, 02:07 PM
It's an Intex 54497, which is a Walmart model -- possibly Walmart only.

However, the 2500 GPH filter listed on the Walmart page takes the "B" cartridge:
Unicel C-5315 Replacement Filter Cartridge for 15 Square Foot Intex B Filter @ Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0039X2XZK/poolbooks)

However, just be sure, check the measurements on one of your existing cartridges: it should be 5 3/4" diameter x 10" long