PDA

View Full Version : Should I be testing and adjusting even when pool is covered?

TfromNC
03-27-2006, 03:01 PM
I guess the heading says it all. I have not tested or added chems since I closed it up in early November.
Also, how do I figure the volume of my pool. Thanks

duraleigh
03-27-2006, 06:48 PM
I would at least run my tests so I would know in advance what I'm going to need once I pull the cover back.

Figure how many cubic feet you have in you pool X 7.48 = gallons

Lenny
03-27-2006, 07:42 PM
duraleigh,

If you pull back the cover and grab a test sample without mixing the water, would you expect that to be a representative sample of the entire pool?

My first sample this year, before I took off the cover and circulated everything, seemed to be a mess. I was just learning to use my test kit but I'm pretty sure it was a bad sample.

duraleigh
03-27-2006, 11:21 PM
duraleigh,

If you pull back the cover and grab a test sample without mixing the water, would you expect that to be a representative sample of the entire pool?

My first sample this year, before I took off the cover and circulated everything, seemed to be a mess. I was just learning to use my test kit but I'm pretty sure it was a bad sample.

Hi, Lenny,

Yeah, you've probably got a good point. It may not be very accurate. However, I'd think you could stir it with a submersible pump or, in a pinch, a long stick and you'd get close enough to make it meaningful.

When I first started with my kit (Ben's), I screwed up some tests and didn't understand how to do one of them. This forum will help you out if you get stuck.:)

Dave S.

CarlD
03-28-2006, 12:09 PM
When the winter cover's on, I don't test. Period.

I take the cover off, first, connect and fire up the pump and filter, and get it circulating. THEN I'll do my first testing.

Before I close I add 1 quart of Polyquat, wait 48 hours, then run the FC up to 15 and close. Then I leave it until spring unless I have to syphon off some water to prevent overflowing.