PDA

View Full Version : Praying for rain....

matt4x4
05-18-2006, 09:25 AM
It's been very dry this spring, I've been waiting for rain for over a month without luck, sure, it spits a bit here or tehre, but my pool still needs to get a foot of water in it.
I have it all cleaned up and ready to go, if I could onl;y get the water up to the skimmer and return I'd be happy, we're in teh country, don't want to drain my well filling it and am NOT paying for another truck of water.
Well, they're finally callong for some rain, of course, I'm not going to get that foot I need naturally, but I've come up with a solution that may get me a foot of water from two inches of rain, I installed and tested it last night.

My pool sits about 100 feet from my house in a spot about 3 feet lower than my grade at the house, I have a rainbarrel at one of my downspouts, I connected 100 feet of blue flat pool drain hose to the overflow of the rainbarrel ran it along the ground to the pool and put a fitting onto the pool end and hold that on place tied to a rope on a sunken bleach container weighed down with rocks inside it.
The top of the rainbarrel overflow is about 3 feet above the top rail, so this setup essentailly works like a water level, but the pool end being lower allows the water to start to run, it is pushed up and over spilling into the pool.
The area of roof I'm getting water from is over 5 times that of the pool, so I'm getting a 1:5+ ratio fill ratio from the rainfall.

pkzmf
05-18-2006, 12:36 PM
Try living in Western PA...It has been raining since Mother's Day non-stop. My pool is to be installed next week...yeah right. lol.:)

seminolewind
05-19-2006, 11:13 AM
I'm tickled pink to be living in Western PA as my pool got the needed 14" of rain it needed. Everytime it started to pour, knowing it alone wouldn't fill the pool, I turned on the hose. I finally fired up my pump/filter today and it's going nicely. Now... if it would warm up lol. If it isn't one thing, it's quite another. :)

poolbuoy
05-19-2006, 11:42 AM
From Massachusett's , I'd be glad to give you some water, mines overflowing the top!