PDA

View Full Version : Large solar cover question

donfranko
04-30-2012, 12:39 PM
I did search threads I really did, but I still have a few questions about solar covers/blankets.
I need to cover an in ground, “True L” liner pool that is 45’ (L) X 20’ (W). The “L” section (which is included in the 45’ length but not the 20’ width is about an incremental 12’ X 16’ to cover.
My questions.
1) Should I get a 45X20 cover for the largest section and have this on a roller?
2) Should I get the best ( commercial ?) reel I can afford due to the size? I saw one that said it could handle a cover up to 50’.
3) For the separate “L” sections should I just get a separate cover and let it float apart from the main cover? Don’t think I can attach it since the reel will be 20 feet.
4) How does a solar cover stay in the pool – i.e. not blow away? Does it stay attached to the reel when it’s in the water ?
5) How difficult do you think it would be to manage and store a beast like this?
thanks

donfranko
05-31-2012, 01:20 PM
What I ended up doing and what I found out.
I got a 45X20 12 mil cover and put in on a reel, bought a 2nd cover big enough to cut in half to cover the "L" part of the pool, this is not on the reel and I get 2 covers for less than what it would cost if I bought something to exact dimensions.
I got a Commercial grade 20 foot Reel (Elite Reel Systems Pro 2000) from a co-worker who didn't want his anymore. Think they retail for about $400 and it seem like a quality piece of equipment. **Note prices when you buy, I noticed some reels did not include castors which accounted for the price difference at some sites.
In speaking with other peopel and from what I can see from very limited use you don't need weights or drains on the solar covers. Think these are additional money makers for the pool co's.
One person can put the cover on and off with a reel, 2 is easier and in a pool this wide with an "L" you need to pull it on the pool on one side and fish the cover over with a pool brush on a pole so you can get it straight int he pool.
I will post again end of season to remark how it worked out and how much I actually used it.

Watermom
05-31-2012, 05:55 PM
Thanks, Don, for coming back and giving us an update. We appreciate it when people share what they have learned so that others may benefit! Good to see you back around here again this year!