PDA

View Full Version : Loosing Prime

Miguel
04-30-2012, 09:59 AM
My pump and DE filter are high above my pool. Every year we have trouble getting everything air tight so we don't loose prim. Does anyone know of a check valve that fits into the inlet of the pool basket strainers so that it closes against the head of the water column (rather than rely on the check valve on the pump inlet)? Thanks, Miguel

PoolDoc
04-30-2012, 10:29 AM
Something like this:
King Brothers Inc. KC-1500-S 1-1/2-Inch Slip PVC Schedule 40 Spring Check Valve, Gray @ Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000KKU7FS/poolbooks)
may help. (Note that the actual valve will be gray, not white.)

However, it's hard to find a check valve that won't leak down over time. You'd probably get better results by placing the valve at the BOTTOM of the hill, filling the line between the pump and valve MANUALLY, running the pump till you lose prime, REFILLING, and repeating. That way, you'd 'catch' prime in 2 or 3 'fills'.

Also, low head pump generally have better suction lift than high head pumps. Not sure what you've got, but the old-school Hayward Super pump is MUCH better at priming than some of the more recent pumps.

If you send photos to poolforum@gmail.com, we can give more accurate advice.

Miguel
04-30-2012, 12:31 PM
Thank you for the tip PoolDoc... I wish smome one made a low profile check valve that could be screwed into the skimmer basket housing bottom connection (for access from above). The skimmer backet depth might need to be compromized a bit but at least that check valve would close with the assistance of the water column above it.

PoolDoc
04-30-2012, 01:01 PM
Most AG pool pumps are below, not above, water level . . . so there wouldn't be much demand for such a product.