PDA

View Full Version : Lots of borax and baking soda - No results

Gibgrl
04-29-2012, 08:14 PM
I am treating a 500 gal hot tub and have a yellow result on ph level so I added several cups of baking soda and retested- No change added a box of borax - no change - tested the Alk and got an immediate red instead of green I think I need to stop and wait for help

PoolDoc
04-29-2012, 08:54 PM
Hi Gibgrl;

You added a whole BOX of borax to a 500 gallon spa . . . and STILL have a yellow pH result? Ga-WOW! You must have had straight acid in there. Any casualties?

Seriously, that is a VERY bad situation. Do this:

1. Fill a small glass with spa water. Add a spoonful of baking soda. Test. You SHOULD get a dark red/purple result.
2. If not, repeat, but use tap water. (IF you don't get purple this time . . . get another testkit!)
3. Once you verify your testkit, go park at the spa, and add borax or baking soda or washing soda until you get above yellow.
4. Then check for damage: pH that low will dissolve any exposed copper.

Wait . . . on 2nd thought. That's only 500 gallons. Change #3 to "Once you verify your testkit, check again. If you are still yellow, drain the spa!."

There's too much chance that if you raise the pH you'll stain the heck out of everything with copper that may have been dissolved. But DO IT TODAY!!!!

PoolDoc
04-29-2012, 08:57 PM
I just upgraded your registration . . . and Googled the address you gave when you registered. (Don't worry -- I'm the ONLY one that can see that address.) There's a pool there too.

Check the pH on it (after you verify the kit) -- a plaster pool like that can be SERIOUSLY damaged by extremely low pH. You may need to go borax and washing soda hunting at Walmart tonight, if you have to work on the pool. But don't leave IT in the yellow range, either!

Gibgrl
04-30-2012, 07:26 AM
Just wanted to say thanks for your quick response and advise. I took the easiest route and drained last night and am refilling. I am determined to be more diligent with my testing. Your kind words were refreshing to say the least, and best of all you didn't make me feel like a complete dork. Have a great week.
Nan in Phoenix