PDA

View Full Version : How often should water be changed?

Hornman120
04-27-2012, 06:18 PM
Still new to the forum. What is current thinking on how often to drain and fill the the pool? I have an in-ground plaster pool. I've been dealing with this pool for 28 years. The local Leslie's seems to think every 2-3 years, which has been our general approach. We do have some of the hardest water in the country here in Las Vegas.

Thanks.

Kevin

Watermom
04-27-2012, 07:07 PM
How about never? It isn't necessary to drain and refill. Most people never do. The only real reason to do so is if you have major problems that you can't clean up, but typically most problems can be cleared. If you maintain your chemistry properly, you shouldn't have to drain. I've never drained --- unless I was installing a new liner.

Question -- what form of chlorine do you use and what is the calcium hardness reading of your pool's water and also your fill water?

Hornman120
04-27-2012, 07:52 PM
Thanks for your response.
My calcium hardness just tested out at 200ppm. This is a freshly filled pool. For Chlorine, I use Tri-Chlor Tablets along with Bleach.

As I stated above, here in Las Vegas, we have some of the hardest water in the country.

Kevin

Watermom
04-27-2012, 08:53 PM
A calcium hardness reading of 200ppm is just fine. If you use trichlor, keep an eye on your CYA level as the trichlor adds CYA. Also, it can drop your pH so you need to monitor that as well.