PDA

View Full Version : Potential Water Problems?

gwrace1
03-27-2006, 01:46 PM
Our above ground pool installers finally finshed our 33' round pool on March 14th. At that time we began to fill it with water which took 5 days from our well pump. We did use softened water and a 2 micron iron filter on the end of the hose to remove as much of the metals as possible. I didn't want to over stress the pump so just took it slow.

We've had some other weather related delays in getting the electrical contractor to complete the installation. We now have a full pool with no filtration. I did add some Polyquat to keep down the algae. We are in South Central Texas with day time temps in the 70-80s and night time temps in the 50-60's. I'm also guessing that we are going to have metals in the water so have been reluctant to shock the pool with chlorine until we get those taken care of with metal out and filtration.

Should I be concerned about this long delay in getting electrical to the pool?
I plan to put our Pool Rover in tonight to let it clean up the bottom.
Is there any other preventive measures I should be taking to ensure there are few problems once I get the pump and filter running.
I will be using an SWG with two returns to the pool.

All advice is appreciated!

waterbear
03-27-2006, 03:56 PM
my 6600 gal inground fiberglass pool turned into a green frog pond 3 times while the contractor was installing it and before the swg was installed.(It took from May to November of last year to get the pool operatonal from the time he filled it!) His answer was to shock it with trichlor pucks which he put in the pool the first time and in the skimmer and the basket of the pump the second two times. This resulted in ruining the cartridge in the filter because of the low pH (which he replaced) and some staining which luckily a metal remover took care of. If you are going to shock bleach would probably be the best thing to use. As far as metals, someone else with more experience in this forum might be able to answer that one for you.