PDA

View Full Version : Taylor kits

GregP
04-18-2012, 12:40 AM
Is there any benefit in getting the 2006 kit with the 2 oz reagent bottles over the one with 0.75 oz bottles. I realize the larger bottles are a better deal in the long run, but exactly how long will they last? I have been trying to find that answer and I have not come across it yet. I know storage of the bottles and not leaving them out in the sun makes a big difference on shelf life. I have a 24' x 52" deep above ground pool, and I worry that by the time I would use up the 2 oz bottles they would not be any good.
I searched the recommended vendor that sells the kits, but did not see where they sell just the reagents. Is it recommended that when the reagents are used up that you just purchase a complete new kit?
I love this site. I have learned alot of new information, and I am going to do some different things when I get the pool opened up for the year. Keep up the great information.

Greg

aylad
04-18-2012, 08:06 AM
You can order replacement bottles of the reagents from several places online. I personally get most of mine from spspoolspas.com, but you can also get them from taylortechnologies.com and other places--they are basically Taylor reagents.

Depending on how often you test for certain things, you may not need the bigger kit. I have a similar kit (the one that Ben used to sell on this site but doesn't anymore) that had the small bottles of reagents, but I just buy the CYA and DPD-FAS drops and powder in larger quantities. I have a high CYA pool, so I use more of those particular reagents than the others. I only test for TA a couple of times a year and calcium almost never (vinyl pool, no cal-hypo), so it takes a LONG time for me to use up either of those.

If you store the kit inside away from sunlight, humidity, and temperature extremes, then the reagents in my experience are good for at least 2 years, with the exception of the DPD powder, which needs to be replaced when it gets gray and starts clumping--I usually replace mine every spring.

BigDave
04-18-2012, 08:11 AM
I have the .75 oz kit and as I started to run low on CYA reagent and the R-0871 FAS-DPD titrating reagent, I bought 2 oz bottles that I use to refill the little ones in the kit. Just pop the little dropper nibs off with your thumb and fill 'em up.

donfranko
04-18-2012, 02:10 PM
With the exception of the FAS-DPD powder I think most of the other reagents keep for 2-3 years. That said, 2 oz is alot. Agree with Alyad on the CYA reagent. I think I bought a pint of the stuff.

I'd start with the .75 bottles and see how long they last. Supplement the larger for those reagents that run out.

GregP
04-19-2012, 03:46 AM
Thanks for the information.

Greg

PoolDoc
04-19-2012, 06:36 AM
In general, the complete kits will be cheaper at Amazon, then they are at some of the sites like SPS. For example, the current Amazon price K-2006 is about $53 delivered, vs $63 from SPS.

The problem with ordering reagents from Amazon is that -- even though they are cheaper -- if you order more than one, you end up paying separate shipping charges on each. This will change if Amazon ever begins to sell them directly.

Janet is correct about reagent life -- if you are careful with the kit, pretty much everything lasts, except the powder. So if you buy a large container of CYA reagent, it will last indefinitely. You can refill the small CYA bottles from a large one: the dropper tips snap out, if you push them from the side with your thumb. I'll post some pictures or video of that on the test kit info page (http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthread.php?14994) next week.