PDA

View Full Version : Intex swcg or ???? (which is best value)

Dave_FL
04-17-2012, 09:30 PM
Hey Guys/Gals,

Just bought our first pool (above ground) and decided on intex ultra 22' 52" round which came with 2500 gph filter/pump. Definitely want to use BBB method and seriously thinking of running a salt system and swcg. Should I stay with intex brand swcg system for best compatibility? Cost is about $220. Not sure if reliable or if I should be considering other systems first. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave

aylad
04-17-2012, 09:50 PM
If I'm not mistaken, the Intex SWCG system also adds copper to your water, which you really don't want, since copper is what turns blonde hair and fingernails green (and can stain vinyl liners). However, I don't (yet) own a SWCG, so some of the equipment gurus should be by soon and can give you some more useable info.

Just wanted to pop in and say welcome to the forum!!

PoolDoc
04-18-2012, 10:00 PM
Janet is right -- they ALL contain copper. Copper does help control algae, but will stain your pool. It will ALSO turn blonde hair green. If you don't mind the stains, and have no blonde haired swimmers, go ahead. Otherwise, I'd recommend passing on them.

I did check and all of the listed 2012 Intex SWCGs with available manuals include copper -- 1 system did not have a manual, so I couldn't tell. The sales literature is sometimes misleading, and does not mention the copper. You actually have to download and read the manual to be sure.

You can check for youself, on this page:
Intex saltwater system web page (http://www.intexcorp.com/index.php/home/above-ground-pools/agp-accessories/saltwater-system.html)

SafetyBob
05-08-2012, 07:57 PM
I have been operating very small Intex pools for the past three years all with the saltwater system from Intex. Never noticed any of the kids having any problems with hair color. And that was with absolutely ZERO knowledge of pool chemicals, levels, or anything. I feel once I get my test kid in a day or two from Amazon that my experience will only improve. I normally added just a couple of solo cups of salt a week......and that is with nothing else in the pool.

I think Doc's directions to open the Intex pools with regular BBB chemicals first, get the chemistry good, then start the SWCG is very, very sound. Although I can tell you that being stupid about this stuff over the past years and only worrying about low salt/high salt warning lights has been relatively simple. Ignorance has definately been bliss on my part.....get a proper test kit as recommended and start to do the chemicals right way from the start. It will make for a much better experience for everyone using the pool.

SWCG systems don't totally replace everything, you have to still check chemical levels and such. Wife thinks sensitive 4 year old has much less skin problems with SWCG than using the old Clorox bottle. Just checked to....around 57 bucks to replace the copper cell on Intex generator versus big, big bucks on other brand's equipment.

Let me know if you have any other specific Intex SWCG questions. I hope I can answer them.

Bob E.

Watermom
05-08-2012, 09:55 PM
I feel once I get my test kid in a day or two from Amazon that my experience will only improve.

I'm telling you, that Amazon is an incredible business. You can buy just about anything there! :p:p

(Just playing with ya!)

PoolDoc
05-08-2012, 10:24 PM
Just checked to....around 57 bucks to replace the copper cell on Intex generator versus big, big bucks on other brand's equipment.

Bob, if you're lucky, the new part won't work, either. If it works . . . and you have any blondie's swimming, look out! We usually recommend that people disable that component, not replace it.

We're not sure about the salt system -- the feedback we've seen is mixed. Our general impression is, don't count on them!