PDA

View Full Version : Yellow algae on walls

pinchedc
04-17-2012, 05:15 AM
I've been trying to get rid of some yellow algae on the side walls of my pool for about a week now. I first got some HTH Super Algae Guard from Walmart and used the dosage stated on the bottle for when algae is already present (actually I used a little more than than what the bottle said). I waited a day and a half and algae didn't seem to get any better. I brushed all of it off the walls and it was back on the pool wall the next day. Next, I shocked it with about 4 lbs of Calcium Hypochlorite ( ~14000 gal pool). It's been about 36 hrs since the superchlorination. The algae on the side walls had been reduced significantly, but I can still see some yellow spots. The chlorine level is still very high and off the scale (the tester has shades of yellow, and the resulting test water after adding drops is dark orange). How long should it take to kill all the algae. I assume i'll need a better test kit also. Mine is the basic one that only shows Chlorine and Ph, and i don't know if it means free chlorine or total chlorine.

PoolDoc
04-17-2012, 01:49 PM
Read this thread:
http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthread.php?14908-Yellow-algae-won-t-go-away!

Just about everything in it, applies to your pool.

I'll try to get back to you this evening.