PDA

View Full Version : Question about BlueHaven SmartPure Ozonator

Phydeauxman
04-08-2012, 01:29 PM
Our pool was built by BlueHaven (I know, I know)...and when we opened the pool last week we discovered that the ozonator does not appear to be working. The pool is 4 years old and I looked thru all of the paperwork that I was given but could not find anything on this component. Does anyone have (or know where I can obtain) a manual on this component so I can do some troubleshooting? Right now, I am not even sure how the thing is supposed to come apart. It might just need to have the bulb replaced but won't know until I can get it apart.

Watermom
04-08-2012, 05:51 PM
Hello fellow West Virginian and welcome to the Pool Forum! I assume you have called the company to ask them? If not, that would be the place to start.

We aren't too keen on ozonators around this forum, so I'm not sure if anybody will have the information you need. But, you never know.

Again, welcome!

PoolDoc
04-08-2012, 07:02 PM
last week we discovered that the ozonator does not appear to be working

I wouldn't worry about it . . . even when they 'work', they don't really work. I'm guessing that no one ever explained to you that ozone and chlorine engage in a mutual destruction reaction.? And, on a plaster pool, a 'working' ozonator is a constant source of aeration, which makes it more difficult to maintain your pH and alkalinity levels.

The best thing you can do is simply remove the unit, and especially, any venturi which wastes LOTS of pump effort by restricting water flow. Second best is to cut off or plug air flow through the unit, so it can't aerate your pool, and to open the venturi bypass -- if there is one -- fully.

Ozonators can have a useful function on spas, and maybe, indoor pools. Currently, we're not aware of ANY useful function an American style ozonator can have on an outdoor pool.

Phydeauxman
04-08-2012, 08:08 PM
Did not know that they have no real value. BlueHaven would have you think they are the cats meow. So, I guess I will just remove it and plug the whole on the side of the pump that the line plugs into. Is there anything wrong with doing that?

PoolDoc
04-08-2012, 08:43 PM
I'm not familiar with the details of that system, its power unit, or control system if you have one. And, I don't know how it is injecting the ozone. So, I can't say how to disconnect it, without seeing pictures.

If you can take some, send them to poolforum@gmail.com, and I'll post them.

Phydeauxman
04-08-2012, 09:42 PM
It is a big powered unit that has a hose that runs from a glass meter on top that has a float ball in it into the pump for the pool.

PoolDoc
04-08-2012, 10:24 PM
as they say, "a picture is worth 1,000 words" . . .