PDA

View Full Version : Vacation pool

donfranko
04-03-2012, 05:48 PM
Hi Ben, hi Mods. Not sure I've seen this question. What is the best way to maintain a remote vaction pool? I have a pool in FL that is serviced since I'm here on and off. Took readings with an old test kit I brought down. Pool is 10,000 gal gunite, chlorinted with 3'' pucks :( cartridge filter, spill over spa.
Readings
FC -16
CC - 0
ALK - 100
PH - 7.2
CAL - 300 **

Calcium indicator barely turned blue, more like a clear purple with red floaters so I'm afraid it may be higher. Thanks

CYA was 100

donfranko
04-04-2012, 02:23 PM
Should I be concerned about any of these results? Going to rerun the calcium test. Is there a problem with high cal levels and how do you fix it? Pool is 5 years old and heat pump is shot but it could be from lawn irrigation spray previous owner watered from canal which has a high salt content. Thanks

Watermom
04-04-2012, 05:18 PM
The only way to lower a calcium level is to do a partial drain and refill but you have to be careful draining someplace where the water table may be high or else you can float your pool right out of the ground.

The other thing I see is your reported CYA reading of 100 which means it could be much higher than that since 100 is as high as the tester can read. I'm sure you know to run higher than normal chlorine readings as a result (per the Best Guess Chlorine Chart in my signature below) or else you'll have algae problems. I don't know what the best solution is for you. Normally, when someone has a CYA reading that high, we say discontinue any forms of stabilized chlorine meaning no more trichlor tabs. But, since you aren't around to do daily checks on your pool chemistry, that limits your options.

Do you have a pool service and if so, how often do they check your pool?

I'm going to ask Ben to pop on here and offer his nickel's worth to see if he has any good suggestions for you. Good to see you back around the forum this year!

donfranko
04-05-2012, 09:50 AM
Thanks, I do have a service and they come weekly. Maybe I will try to convince her to start using BBB which may cut her cost as well. Forgot about the CYA test limit being 100 max read, good point. I will call the pool builder and get his advice on partial drain.
Would changing to salt be a possible alternative to high CL and high cya? Think I read high CAL negativly impacts the CL generator. Thanks for the advice

PoolDoc
04-06-2012, 04:09 PM
Yeah. Having calcium that high with an SWCG is likely to lead to a fair amount of cleaning. Let me ask PoolSean and Chem_Geek about this. I think high calcium alone affects scaling, so lowering the pH and alkalinity won't help, but I need to ask.

One other question: have you tested the tap water, to make sure it's not high in calcium? I don't think that's usually a problem in NJ or Florida, but we'd better rule it out.

Checking on a partial drain and refill is a good idea, But, to see how much to drain, we need both pool CYA & CAL levels, and the CAL levels in her fill water. Do a 50:50 dilution of pool water to tap water, when you retest CYA, and then multiply the result by 2.

Aylad, there is another way to lower calcium . . . but it's sort of a pain. You have to take the pH up over 10, and collect the calcium carbonate that forms on the filter. It's not expensive, now that washing soda is widely available for cheap, but it's messy, and you end up with high alkalinity, which you then have to strip.

Don, let me know if you are interested.

[ Yes, this thread has been edited. Watermom emailed me to let me know I was going crazy -- she said it much more nicely than that -- and mixing up threads. Hopefully, I have it straightened out, now. I've also emailed PoolSean and Chem_Geek about your calcium levels.]

aylad
04-07-2012, 04:09 PM
Aylad, there is another way to lower calcium . . . but it's sort of a pain. You have to take the pH up over 10, and collect the calcium carbonate that forms on the filter. It's not expensive, now that washing soda is widely available for cheap, but it's messy, and you end up with high alkalinity, which you then have to strip.

Ummm Ben, I haven't posted in this thread 'til now..... :rolleyes:

Janet

PoolDoc
04-07-2012, 04:21 PM
Aylad, Watermom, whoever . . .

I already acknowledged that I went insane yesterday! (And, it's barely April!)