PDA

View Full Version : Help- mosquito larva in the pool!

davc1
05-17-2006, 03:23 AM
Greeting:

After a trip out of state for a few weeks, when returning the other day I was shocked to find our swimming pool turning green and even with some mosquito larva.

I immediately start to shock the pool with chlorides, and the water starts to turn back normal. But mosquito larvas are still alive. Does anyone have any recommnedations on what will be a safe way to kill the larvas quickly? I have heard of people using mosquito dunks (bacterias that will kill larvas), but I'm not sure if that's safe to swimmers later on, or are there other better alternatives?

Any recommendation is greatly appreciated.

David

nater
05-17-2006, 09:42 AM
Bleach, bleach, and more bleach. The point of chlorinating a pool is for sanitization. Algae, bugs, germs, bacteria (from dead bugs, dead animals, people "stuff"), etc. It's all alive, and bleach kills it all.

If you can test for your levels and get everything where it needs to be, you should have no more problems once your water is balanced.

PopcornGirl
05-17-2006, 06:03 PM
David,
We had this same problem after neglecting our pool over a very mild winter. :(
Shocking the pool with a LOT of bleach and running the filter/pump 24/7 did it for us. Of course, it was a pretty nast job cleaning the cartridge filter afterwards, but it's a lesson learned for us!