PDA

View Full Version : Bubbles in Steps ??

Piney
05-16-2006, 10:59 PM
Greetings--

Aprox 6-8 yr old inground pool. White plastic/fiberglass steps are getting small and a few large bubbles in it. Some of these "bubbles" are large enough to appear to be leaking (slightly).

Q-- WHat causes this ?
Q-- Is there a fix ?
Q-- HOw much trouble (and $$) is it to replace them ?

THanks !!

Piney
05-18-2006, 08:19 PM
Bumptotopofforum

MarkC
05-19-2006, 12:28 PM
Well since none of the experts chimed in yet I'll give you my take on this. Fiberglass boats also experience the same type of bubbling that you mentioned. They appear like blisters. If it is a problem depends on what kind of pool you have. If the pool is a vinyl liner and the liner is joined to the steps so that in escence the steps are part of the liner holding water you might still be OK. Most of the time the blisterring is the gelcoat layer (the pretty white part) delaminating from the main fiberglass structural layer underneath. On boats this can be fixed so I am assuming the same can be done for your steps but the water would have to be lowered to below the problem areas for the work to be done. I would be inclined to hold off on the repair until you are due for a new liner. If you think the areas may be leaking then check with some food coloring and an eye dropper and see if the color is sucked into the blister area. I would be surprised if it was leaking. I hope this helps.

Piney
05-21-2006, 12:19 AM
Yes-- "blisters" are a better description. Lots of smaller ones and a few large (size of a quarter) ones.

It is a vinyl lined pool. THe liner is about 4-5 yrs old.

There may be minor leaks as I can see a dark line around a few of the large blisters. I'll try the food coloring test but suspect the leaks are quite minor.