PDA

View Full Version : Winter plug

wetviking
03-27-2006, 10:43 AM
Anyone here use the “Tupperware” type cover for their skimmer and the expandable rubber hole plug for the return? This was the first winter I tried it and a few weeks ago, during our first thaw here in Chicago, I noticed water coming out of the return. Now that all the ice is melted, I find that my water level is about half. The plug appeared to be moved by the ice and became useless. Anyone else have this happen and/or what do you think is a better set up for next year – I hate $$ filling the pool every year.

CarlD
03-27-2006, 01:24 PM
This year, for the first time, I had some leakage through the skimmer--I'll just replace the "tupperware" cover for next year. I always prefer the screw-in plugs to the expanding rubber corks, but my dad used them pretty effectively for years. With the screw-ins, be sure to use teflon lube on the gasket and while they should be wrench-tight snug, don't play gorilla on them or the gaskets will be squeezed out.

wetviking
03-27-2006, 01:34 PM
Hi Carl,

Been awhile. Should the plug be cone shaped - much like the taper on a pipe plug or should it have been almost square? Mine was tapered and it seemed that as I tightened the plug, it tried to squeeze itself out of the hole (BTW, yes I inserted it from the inside of the pool)

While installing this it didn't seem quite right, so I loosened it a bit and it held until the freeze.

I've seen mention of the treaded type before, but I believe my return opening is not treaded - I use an Aqua-luminator light in the return.

Thanx

eckardsl
03-27-2006, 03:22 PM
Anyone here use the “Tupperware” type cover for their skimmer and the expandable rubber hole plug for the return? This was the first winter I tried it and a few weeks ago, during our first thaw here in Chicago, I noticed water coming out of the return. Now that all the ice is melted, I find that my water level is about half. The plug appeared to be moved by the ice and became useless. Anyone else have this happen and/or what do you think is a better set up for next year – I hate $$ filling the pool every year.

I have used this and have also noticed a dramatic loss. I thought that I may have drained water through the cover out of the pool when I try to take water off of the top of the winter cover. Still not sure.

wetviking
03-27-2006, 03:39 PM
Nope, I saw the water draining from the return port, and upon further inspection, I could see the plug in the hole, but it was cockeyed and letting water pass. I'm assuming the ice must have knocked it loose, since the wing nut part was protruding into the pool area when I installed it.

eckardsl
05-31-2007, 09:45 AM
We have a 27 foot above ground pool. I have used the cover and expandable plugs successfully for years. I keep my pool here in Virginia full and usually have to purchase one load of water in the Spring because, I believe the ice/snow on top pushes some water out. Unrelated, but thanks to Ben for saving us so much with the "chemicals". It really "burns" the pool stores when you tell them you use clorox and most everything else you need from the grocery store. Don't forget the poly! Have a great day.

matt4x4
05-31-2007, 01:33 PM
I keep my return and skimmer wide open (AG pool) any rise in water level due to rain and snow, it will run out as soon as it becomes liquid, the level will never rise above the return jet opening and everything is safe.