PDA

View Full Version : Opening Pool issues

wolvskiss
03-26-2012, 05:26 PM
I am trying to open our pool this year and having issues. We have a 24ft 48inch Intex Ultra Frame pool. The pool pump is a brand new Intex pump and an Intex salt water generator. We did not cover the pool last year when we closed it so consequently the pool and coupled with the fact we have had warmer than normal weather it is really green. It holds right around 14,000 gallons. I put two lbs of shock, a quart of algaecide and 3 inch clorine tablet yesterday. Today I changed the filer and shocked it one more time, Its kinda of a milky bluish green. Im lost and dont know what to do at this point. Any suggestions welcome.

PoolDoc
03-26-2012, 06:33 PM
About your pool -- current 24' Intex Ultra's are 52" pools -- if yours is actually a 52" instead of 48", your correct gallons about 1,000 more than I put into your signature.

1. Turn off the salt system
2. Purchase a cheap OTO/phenol red kit (chlorine drops turn yellow), and test the pool.
3. If at all possible, ALSO take a water sample by a pool store, and get it tested, especially stabilizer level.
4. Turn your pump & filter on, and leave the on.
5. Check the cartridges, and replace or clean as needed.
6. Adjust your pH to be between 7.0 and 7.8.
7. If your chlorine is not dark yellow, add plain 6% household bleach at the rate of 2 gallons per evening, each evening if the OTO reading is not dark yellow.
8. If it won't bust your budget, order a K2006 testkit (Amazon link in my signature).
9. Do not add any more shock or algaecide. If you have a floater, use the chlorine tabs.
10. Tell us all results, and we'll work out next steps.
11. Do NOT let bleach come into direct contact with any other chemical.

Intex pools take a LONG time to clean up, once they get cloudy, due to the undersizes filter. Once it's clear, you want to let us help you develop a plan to prevent this from happening again.