thorn138
03-24-2012, 11:59 AM
Hi Everyone... Just a quick question...

Opened AG pool (25,000 gallons) last week. Taylor test results:

FC-0
CYA-0
Ph - 8
TA - 100

Pool was green (incredibly warm winter, because I close properly w/polyquat), so I connected the pump & started adding bleach in the evenings based on pool calculator. I have let the pump run 24/7 and tried my best to vacuum pool.

My Question.. After one week, the water is clearing up quickly.. FC cannot sustain since I lost all my CYA..
So..... Should I go ahead and use the sock trick and start some CYA along with my bleach regiment every evening?

Or... I feel confident I've killed the algae, but I can't sustain my chlorine level until I get some CYA in the water...

Thanks for the help!

Watermom
03-24-2012, 12:39 PM
Sure. Go ahead and add some CYA in a sock.

On another note, what is the highest reading that your tester can register for pH? If it is 8.0, then your pH could actually be much higher than 8.0 and you would need to use some muriatic acid to lower it.

OR, better yet ....

Actually, if this is my pool, here is what I would do. It would kill several birds with one stone. Instead of continuing with bleach right now and adding CYA in a sock, use some trichlor pucks for awhile. That would add chlorine, add CYA and also lower your pH. Another alternative to using the pucks is to use some dichlor powdered chlorine. It will do the same things as the trichlor. Just make sure that the trichlor or dichlor does not have any copper in it. Keep an eye on your pH.

BBB doesn't always mean that we suggest only using bleach. Sometimes a different form of chlorine is a better choice.

thorn138
03-24-2012, 02:36 PM
Thanks Watermom.. I read someplace where CYA lowers pH, so I was going to let it work for a while.. I'll go ahead and add the Muriatic Acid and I just happen to have Trichlor pucks in the garage..

Thanks again for the assistance!

Watermom
03-24-2012, 07:15 PM
I think you may have misinterpreted what I wrote. What I meant was that if you're going to use the trichlor pucks, you don't need the muriatic acid. Have you already added it? The trichlor will lower the pH.