PDA

View Full Version : not opening ag pool this year. Tips/ideas to keep rain from collecting on cover

mateo
03-14-2012, 07:31 PM
Hello!

I've got a 32x16 above ground oval shaped pool. Looking to create some type of run-off (using the cover) for the rain so it doesn't collect. Like a roof or teepee shape.

Long version:

I'm not going to open it again this year. In past years I've had the problem of rain collecting on the cover and sinking it down, having to pump it out, then the same thing happening again every time it rains. Even keeping it taught will only work for so long.

I end up with mosquitoes and other problems.

So, this year I'm looking to alleviate the problem all together.

I've heard the beach ball idea(setting an inflated beach ball under the cover), but I'm actually draining the pool completely. It's nearly drained now. I know this isn't good for the liner, but it's torn anyway and will need to be replaced before the pool can reopen.

So my thought is building two small platforms out of PVC and mounting them to each end of the pool. Then running some tough rope across one end to other. Each platform being around 1.5 ' above the pool. Then run two additional pieces of rope on each side (using 8" or so platforms) to each side of the main one for support.

Then run a new cover (buying a new one that is bigger [thinking 20x40]) over the rope, and screwing it into the deck to keep it taught. Creating a roof, or teepee shape for the water to run off of.

Am I crazy? Will this method work? Has anyone had experience with this problem before, or perhaps have a better idea?

Thanks so much!

PoolDoc
03-14-2012, 08:13 PM
I've got a 32x16 above ground oval shaped pool. Looking to create some type of run-off (using the cover) for the rain so it doesn't collect.
Like a roof or teepee shape.
I'm not going to open it again this year. . . . I'm actually draining the pool completely. It's nearly drained now. I know this isn't good for the liner, but it's torn anyway and will need to be replaced before the pool can reopen.

1. PVC pipe is a very poor structural material. And if you start putting tension on the frame, with a stretched cover and ropes, the PVC will tend to flex, and not in the directions you want.

2. AG pools -- *especially* oval ones -- are designed to resist pressure from the inside out, but have NO structure to resist pressure from the outside in. Take the water out, and they tend to collapse.

So . . . here's what I'd suggest:

1. Since your liner is gone, and you haven't used the pool in several years, the best thing would be to dismantle it, toss the liner, and store the frame.

2. If you really want to go with a frame, you need to build a 34 x 18 tent, that will stand up to all the bad weather. Keep in mind that covering the pool will keep moisture on the frame, inside and out. Also, pool cover material does NOT stand up to wind all that well -- it's made to be down against the water where it won't flap.

If you're sure this what you want to do, you can probably build one with treated 2x4's, on 4' centers, with a center ridge and cross bracing. Then, you can cover it with a 18x36 (or may be a 20x40) IG pool cover, lashed down. If nothing falls on the cover, I'd expect it to last maybe 2 years IF you get a '10 year' cover.

Keep in mind that you will ALSO need to do some in-the-pool wall braces, to keep the side walls from falling IN, when the water is all OUT.

mateo
03-15-2012, 09:47 AM
Hi. Thanks for your reply Ben.

The problem with dismantling it is that I have a large deck built around it. This is the least attractive option for us right now, though not completely off the table...

Do you have any suggestions for keeping rain off the cover if I were to just fill it back up and cover it? What about the beach ball idea?

Thanks!

PoolDoc
03-15-2012, 10:09 AM
OK.

But long term, a covered, unused pool is a risk. Bad things happen when people or pets fall unexpectedly onto a pool cover.

I'm not sure how to advise you.

1. With a damaged liner, it's hard to keep water in the pool.
2. Without water, there's great risk of pool wall collapse.
3. Any sort of tarp & tent cover will require regular maintenance, one way or the other.

I just don't know of a really good way to close pools long term, that doesn't involve removing or filling them.

AnnaK
03-15-2012, 03:25 PM
Since you're planning to drain the pool anyway, why even worry about a cover and all the resulting hassle? The walls will collapse without water but you could brace them with 2x4s. If the liner is removed you're not likely to have standing water and a mosquito breeding ground. Then you could build a railing between the deck and the pool to keep people from falling into the hole. It doesn't have to be fancy, it mostly has to be a visual deterrent.

CarlD
04-14-2012, 08:06 AM
Some good ideas above.
But rather than a beach ball, which is far too small, you'll need cover pillows. These are about 10' long and 4' wide and inflate like giant beach balls, floating on the water and supporting the cover. My late dad used to get hold of used truck tire inner tubes and use about 8 of them tied together and tied to keep them in the center of the pool and cover because they were free and easy to get.