PDA

View Full Version : Truning the Valves when the pump is on

RENOPOOL
05-16-2006, 12:28 PM
Hi
I just had my pool started up for the first time yeaterday. I thought when I brush the Dimond Brite towards the main drain I would see the main drain suck the dust/dirt right up. I called my pool builder and he told me to get more suction at the mail drain is to turn the valve that is set on half way between the main drain and the skimmer to all the way to the main drain. He told me to do this slowly because the pump is on. Everything I read tell me never to turn the valves when the pump is running. My pool builder does not want me to turn the pump off until next week. (Run the pump 24/7 for a week) Will I hurt anything? The pool does clear up in a few hours after brushing so I know the suction does work.
Please advise.

Poconos
05-16-2006, 02:16 PM
Sounds like these are ball valves and there is no problem turning them with circulation going. Multi-port valves on filters are another issue because of the gasket issues. Gaskets may unseat. Ball valves have no gasket so just go for it. If you feel uncomfortable doing it, shutting the pump down for a few minutes won't matter.
Al

cygnusecks
05-16-2006, 02:29 PM
NO problem turning valves while pump running, but make sure to turn them SLOWLY. If you quickly shut off a particular water flow path, the water does not instantaneously stop. The momentum in the water that was travelling in the pipe will bang against the closed valve, and then transmit this shock all throughout the piping. And when that repeatedly happens, the weak points in the piping will burst, especially with wider piping found in pools/spas where there is a lot of water moving. This means the elbows, Tees, couplings, etc will burst and you won't know it for a while. So turn them slowly. For example, to make a 180 degree turn on a valve should take about 5-10 seconds. The valve actuators go REALLY slow, and take 30 seconds or so. By turning slowly, you give the moving water a chance to slow down first and smoothly stop, rather than being shut off with a closed valve, like ramming a car into a brick wall.

The same thing happens when you shut off your bath shower, you can hear the water shock banging in the piping and you'll break those too over time.

PatL34
05-16-2006, 03:00 PM
Do you know the valve make and model? I suspect these might be Jandy 3-way valves, and if so yes turn them very slowly.

Pat