PDA

View Full Version : New Member with AG pool and handicap lift questions

Rubber Duck
03-09-2012, 09:05 AM
Hello Ya'll!
I would like input on above ground pools. Is there any particular brand to look for?
We are not new to pool ownership. We had a 18 ft above ground that was in place when we bought our property seven years ago.
This past fall the pool liner was going and we were thinking about getting a new one. We had sycamore trees and the roots grew up through the liner. Had the tree cut down. Well my husband and I realized at that time we also needed a bigger place. Long story short, we ended up trading our 17 yr old double wide in for a brand new and bigger modular home that was placed on a permanent foundation. Needless to say the pool was in the way and had to go. Glad we didn't buy a new liner :)
Of course, summer is nearing soon and Im missing our pool :( So I have been looking online at places at prices and such. Our current problem is that the area we want the pool is at the side of the house. Back is not enough space, 20 ft between house and property line. and our old pool was to the side. We have a brand new deck only five feet by five feet that was built on. We will have to build a lower deck off of the bottom stair as their is a hill (had to bring in ten loads of dirt to fill for new house). If we enlarge our current new deck it will mean about a six to eight foot drop to the area we want for a pool. If we build a second deck that is lower it will probably be the right height for a pool.

We had a 18 foot round. Will probably get the same size and shape. Although I thought an oval would be nice but Im finding they cost more. Also, our electrian when he cut the electrical line to the old pool, he left the breaker in the box in case we planned on getting another pool. So we just have to have him run a new line.

My other question is this: our 13 yr old daughter is handicapped and uses a wheelchair. I would LOVE to get a pool lift to get her in and out of the pool. Any suggestions on this and does anyone know of any source to help with funding it?

PoolDoc
03-09-2012, 10:55 AM
Forgive me if I'm presuming, but I gather your budget is pretty limited, so I'm offering options based on that assumption.

1. Sams Club is currently selling an Intex-type 18ft x 48" round pool for $399. I doubt you can do better than that.
2. If you want to go larger, you might look at something like this Intex rectangle (www.intexcorp.com/index.php/home/above-ground-pools/ultra-frame-pools/24-x12-732cmx366cm-ultra-frame-rectangular-pools/54977eg.html), but it's going to cost 3x as much.
3. A lift is a tough problem. The ones I've seen have been commercial, and don't work so well, and are very expensive. You can take a look at these at InTheSwim: handicap lifts (http://www.intheswim.com/shopping/dept.aspx?deptid=1433&scode=I8TKPS22&e5=Y&pp=Y&e6=pool_lift&keyword=pool_lift&s_kwcid=TC|3939|pool%20lift||S|p|7480297377&gclid=CPaEhduR2q4CFdKR7Qod1Bokcg) .

Some aspects of the handicap lift expense are unavoidable. For example, the portion of the pool deck where the lift is mounted must be built very stoutly and durably. But, if I were in your situation, I'd 'roll my own' using components like this hydraulic jack (http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200305559_200305559). I put a sketch below.

However, I have a lot of tools, and am pretty handy. So I don't know if you'd have the resources for something like that.

The design below is concept only; it's not a complete design. You might be able to use 2.5" and 3" pipe, instead of 3" and 4", but you'd want to make sure it wouldn't buckle. Also, the swinging chair design makes it hard to enter from land. Again, you might be able to make a wooden landing for the chair, which would stabilize it. But, something like this could probably be built for less than $600, which is a lot better than $3,000 - $7,000.

If you, or family members, have the skill to fabricate something like this, there may well be folks here who could help you work out a complete design.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-LmHtyCSpnj4/T1om_pnBrlI/AAAAAAAABoo/oDHOK4RCIYE/s800/handicap%2520lift.jpg

Rubber Duck
03-09-2012, 07:50 PM
Thank you so much! Yes we are on a very limited budget since all of our money went to a new house, new foundation, new decks and wheelchair ramp on the front of the house. Building a new house can get expensive! lol....
I had looked at the Intex one's and 399 for the 18 foot doesn't sound bad at all. We thought about going that route and putting most of the money into a lower deck first. And then next year work on a better above ground pool.
One thing we have learned, since the old pool was put in by the former owner of our property is to NEVER put decking over the filter system. That was the biggest pain ever! Trying to change out filter sand, replace hoses, and once had to replace the pump housing under a deck only four feet in height!!