PDA

View Full Version : Mustard Algae continued

CUTURHAIR
05-16-2006, 08:28 AM
In my quest to see if bleach in shock amts will conquer this mustard algae, I have a question. I have shown NO combined chlorine the whole time this has been going on. Is that normal with mustard algae? I am pretty sure it is mustard algae, and the pool store owner agreed, and I am going through a lot of bleach at a decent rate as well, so something is eating up my bleach. I am on my 3rd or 4th day of keeping a constant high level shock in the pool, trying to keep it between 10 and 15, since my CYA is probably between 0 and 30 at this point. Just ran out of the 0013! My last CYA test before I ran out of 0013 was definitely showing some cloudiness, verses the straight pool water in the tube, so I know it is on the rise, so I don't think I am just losing this bleach to lack of CYA totally. I have added a pound of CYA a few weeks back, and another half pound on Saturday, in a sock, in the skimmer.

Has anyone gotten rid of must. algae with bleach alone, or am I wasting my time, and just need to go get the copper stuff? I just hate to mess with pool store chemicals, since my water is always crystal clear with the basic grocery store stuff Ben recommends.

Thanks,
John

mjones
05-21-2006, 01:51 PM
I had to use polyquat to rid my pool of the mustard algae.. 2 days later, it was gone!!

PhantomAndy
05-25-2006, 01:09 PM
Polyquat it - like the above post say - 2 day's later and it's gone. . .

$15-25 for a quart, which should take care of your problem - no muss, no fuss and highly effective.