PDA

View Full Version : Bleach? I've also got cloudy water

cjayc
05-15-2006, 06:44 PM
I didn't know that you could use bleach in place of shock. Is bleach better that granular chlorine? It seems like everytime I use the granules, my pool get more cloudy. I am unable to see the bottom of pool now, a couple of day ago, it was starting to clear up. I have done everything that I was told by two separate pool supply places, and nothing works. I was wondering if I changed my sand in the filter, that maybe it would clear up. I am very new to this pool, we moved in last year and the pool was already here. The previous owners did not leave any info on how to take care of anything. My tests come out fine, but it is with strips. I am going to go out an get a drop test. Any help would be wonderful. Thank you.

Also, I have very large above ground pool. At least 10,000 gallons, probably more. I don't know if that makes a difference.

Crystal

PatL34
05-15-2006, 09:11 PM
Welcome to the forum.

The shock that you are using is calcium hypochlorite, and should only be used for a sudden upset, as you say it will cloud up the pool if used by itself and also increase your calcium hardness.

To clear your pool, use some DE = diatomaceous earth in your filter, added through a skimmer. I would try no more than 1/2 lb, but Poconos or CarlD might help here.

Use regular unscented 6% bleach from now on, and your pool should start to clear up. You should be able to get a good test kit from Walmart for about $15 for starters, and as you get more experience, you may want to get Ben's PS234 kit which is much better.

When you get your kit, post back with your pool water analysis and we can give you better advice..

Meantime keep reading the forum posts and you will get a better feel for what to do.

Hope this helps.

Pat

cjayc
05-15-2006, 09:25 PM
Oh thank you! So I use diatomaceous earth even though I use just sand? When I'm ready, would you please try to explain how to change my sand?

Thanks

PatL34
05-15-2006, 10:18 PM
Use the DE in a 1/2 lb lots and check the build up in pressure if any, and any clearing of the water.

As I use a DE filter, I will defer to the Sand filter gurus for that question.

Pat

Poconos
05-15-2006, 10:25 PM
Crystal,
We really need some good test numbers. Need to know Free or Total Chlorine, pH, Calcium Hardness, Total Alkalinity, and CYA...Cyanuric Acid (stabilizer) levels. Never saw one but people here say Walmart has a decent drop based kit for about $15. Cal Hypo by itself may or may not cloud the pool. Depends on other factors. I wouldn't go the 'DE in the sand' route until we understand more about your situation.
Al
Also...welcome to the forum.

cjayc
05-16-2006, 06:06 PM
Ok, I bought a test kit from Fred Meyer. Wal Mart had only 1 and it didn't have any directions. So, hopefully I did the test correctly, and here are the results:

PH 7.8
Free Chlorine 2.0
Chlorine 5.0
Alkalinity 7.6

My kit didn't include any tests for hardness, but I was told I didn't have to worry about it because I don't have a in pool heater; it is solar heated.

I also don't know how to test for CYA levels, the kit didn't come with that either.

I know my PH is a little high, and I did put bleach in a little bit before I tested. I maybe should have waited before I tested it.

Crystal

Watermom
05-16-2006, 08:32 PM
We really need to know the cya and calcium hardness levels to be able to advise you. If you can't test for them, take a sample to a pool store, just don't let them sell you a bunch of stuff. We prefer not to have to use pool store numbers, but it is better than nothing. Have you considered buying Ben's kit at the sister site to this forum www.poolsolutions.com? It will test for everything you need. It is what most of us use.

cjayc
05-16-2006, 09:11 PM
As much as I would like to buy it, just haven't got the funds right now. I will try to get to the pool place with a sample and get back to you.