PDA

View Full Version : Polyquat Algaecide - 60% Concentrate

Sprint54
05-15-2006, 02:46 PM
In a previous post it was recommended that a Polyquat algaecide be used with a 60% concentration of Poly [oxyethylene (dimethylimino) ethylene (dimethyliminio) ethylene dichloride], and Arch Chemicals makes a 60% algaecide product under the brand name HTH that was sold by Walmart. I went to the local super Walmart this weekend looking for the product that was referenced and I found something very different. Not sure if Arch Chemicals changed the packaging or if the contents is completely different. Here is what I found, picture attached. The label reads "HTH Super Algaecide" and at the bottom of the bottle it states "60% Strength" Here are the ingredients.

Alkyl (60% C14, 30% C16, 5% C12, 5% C18) dimethyl benzyl ammonium chloride 30%
Alkyl (68% C12, 32% C14) dimethyl ethylbenzyl ammonium chloride 30%
Inert ingredients 40%
Total 100%

Is this the same stuff to use that has been recommended?

waterbear
05-15-2006, 02:54 PM
Alkyl (60% C14, 30% C16, 5% C12, 5% C18) dimethyl benzyl ammonium chloride 30%
Alkyl (68% C12, 32% C14) dimethyl ethylbenzyl ammonium chloride 30%
Inert ingredients 40%
Total 100%

Is this the same stuff to use that has been recommended?

In a nutshell, NO. these are both linear quats...the kind that foam and the 60% concentration is a bit misleading, Yes, there are 60 % linear quats in the mix but there are 2 different ones and they are both at 30%. Seems like marketing hype to confuse people into thinking it is polyquat.

HTH has been changing all their formulas lately...Whether Arch Chemicals (their parent company) is just trying to save money and maximize profits or have gone off the deep end and actually believe:eek: that their 'new and improved' products actually are is anyones guess.

Sprint54
05-15-2006, 06:26 PM
Thanks Waterbear, :D

I agree that the marketing arm of HTH (Arch Chemical) is at work. But since HTH seems to no longer manufacture and market the Algaecide referenced earlier, I'm left with what's available to me.

Kind Regards,

Scott

waterbear
05-15-2006, 07:08 PM
Thanks Waterbear, :D

I agree that the marketing arm of HTH (Arch Chemical) is at work. But since HTH seems to no longer manufacture and market the Algaecide referenced earlier, I'm left with what's available to me.

Kind Regards,

Scott You can always order real polyquat on the net. Leslie's just had a sale where is was under $8 a bottle and I believe it is still fairly inexpensive on their website.

Sprint54
05-15-2006, 08:57 PM
Thanks...Which algaecide prodict on the Leslie's Web site was the Polyquat?
http://www.lesliespool.com/jump.jsp?itemID=106&itemType=CATEGORY

mwsmith2
05-15-2006, 09:11 PM
This one right here: http://www.lesliespool.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=8106&itemType=PRODUCT&iMainCat=14&iSubCat=106&iProductID=8106

Michael