PDA

View Full Version : Pure and Clear SWG

superjet
05-15-2006, 01:39 PM
I recently moved to a new house with a pool. The pool is approximately 6 years old.

My Pure and Clear SWG is showing "Low Salt" via the idiot light. Here are the readings from the water tests:
TC= .5
FC= .2
CYA= 80
ph= 7.5
TA= 100
Salt= 4000
I added 4 bags of HTH Super and 300 lbs of salt when I opened the pool 2 weeks ago. I added one gallon of 5.25% bleach on Friday. That's it.

Obviously the light isn't working and from what I've read that could be caused by scale on the plates. This SWG is the old in-the-pool style and cannot be removed without pulling the wires through. When the unit is on, it puffs out a nice white cloud. Is this normal? Does that just mean that it is working?

I've called all over the place and found one place to get a replacement cell for this SWG. It will run me about $300. I called Polaris and they'll offer me one of their new Autoclear systems direct for a price that I don't really think is all that special. Should I buy the replacement cell or get a new complete system and apply the cell price to that?

PatL34
05-15-2006, 03:43 PM
Welcome to the forum.

Not being familiar with this particular unit, I had to print out the manual to see what it looked like.

Does the "puff of white cloud" dissipate fairly quickly without affecting the clarity of the rest of the pool. If so, then it is simply generating hydrogen gas, which is a byproduct of the SWC operation.

To check if the unit is working, take a sample where the cloud comes out, and check if the Cl reading is higher than the figure you gave in the previous post. Make sure that the cell is on when you do this. If not, than the unit is not producing Cl, in which case the cell needs to be cleaned, or replaced, or you can install a brand new unit.

I personally would go with a new unit, based on what I saw from your manual. After 6 years, as you are finding out it becomes difficult to find replacements.

Check through this forum, and you will get some ideas of who likes this or that particular SWC. Then check on-line for the best prices.

Hope this helps, and the forum members are here to help you with further questions.

Pat

superjet
05-15-2006, 06:19 PM
Thanks for the reply Pat. Where did you find the manual on-line?

The white clould disipates and does not cloud up the pool. I'll check the chlorine readings tonight.

PatL34
05-15-2006, 08:44 PM
Typed in Pure and Clear in Google without SWG, and came up with the URL below. It's the second PDF. The white cloud then is the hydrogen as I thought.

http://www.gpspool.com/customer/geposp/customerpages/tech_bulletins1/pureclear/pureclear_tech.asp

Pat

superjet
05-16-2006, 08:41 AM
Thanks Pat. The chlorine levels at the cell are much higher (~ 4ppm). So, it looks like the cell is working. I'll keep reviewing and looking for a replacement, but for now it looks like it might make it one more summer.

Which SWG do you have, or which do you like?

mrmrk49
05-19-2006, 06:54 PM
Pure & Clear is obsolete, company was bought out by Polaris a few years ago, but Polaris does NOT support the Pure & Clear model:mad: .

You can get replacement (remanufactured) cells here http://www.saltcells.com/replacement-cells-pure-clear-c-21_108.html;

I've also seen at least one other place that was selling "original" equuipment (suspicious of this)

I have the Pure & Clear also, but my cell is totally dead now. Iwas thinking of ordering the replacement cell (for $250) but my unit has a few problems besides the cell: the pump sensor circuit does not work - the unit thinks the pump is running all the time. I traced out the circuit, and I can't see that it ever could work.

Does the "period" LED between the 2 numbers blink about 1 per second with the pump on and pump off like mine does? The blinking "dot" indicates that the unit thinks the pump is running .

I also noticed that 2 large electrolytic capacitors in the power supply are "bulging" which is a bad sign:(

All in all, I'm thinking of ordering an entirely new SWG system for around $700

good luck
Mike K

superjet
05-20-2006, 10:51 AM
Saltcells.com does not have reman replacements. I did find one vendor that claims to have 6 original cells left at a price of $262. I'm like you though, I think that money may be better spent on a replacement system.

Mine does know when the pump is on or off.

Which system are you thinking of buying?

mrmrk49
05-21-2006, 07:13 PM
I'm looking closely at the "AquaRite" made by Goldline,company just purchased by Hayward. Since Hayward is a big name in pool equipment, and the AquaRite has a 5 year warranty, I'd feel a lot better than buying from small unknown company, like Clear-Tech was!!!:rolleyes:

Priced less than $700 on the New, doesn't include installation , but I can probably handle the electrical, and pay $75 - $ 100 to plumb it.

Mike K

superjet
05-22-2006, 04:26 PM
I'm looking closely at the "AquaRite" made by Goldline,company just purchased by Hayward. Since Hayward is a big name in pool equipment, and the AquaRite has a 5 year warranty, I'd feel a lot better than buying from small unknown company, like Clear-Tech was!!!:rolleyes:

Priced less than $700 on the New, doesn't include installation , but I can probably handle the electrical, and pay $75 - $ 100 to plumb it.

Mike K

Have you called Polaris about their "upgrade" to an autoclear? I like the aquarite also. I'm curious though, if you can handle the electrical, don't you think you could handle the plumbing? From what I've seen/heard, it looks very simple.

Greg

mrmrk49
05-22-2006, 10:30 PM
Have you called Polaris about their "upgrade" to an autoclear? I like the aquarite also. I'm curious though, if you can handle the electrical, don't you think you could handle the plumbing? From what I've seen/heard, it looks very simple.

Greg

Because there is currently no room, I'd have to cut the pipes to the solar heater back, run them up a foot or so - take a lot of different fittings, elbows, etc. By the time I got done making 3 or 4 trips to Home Depot for parts, the gas cost would likely pay for a plumber to do the work. I'm experianced doing electrical, very little doing plumbing, even if it is all glued together.

As for calling Polaris - not interested in a company which doesn't support older products, and has a relatively short warranty period.:mad:

MikeK

superjet
05-23-2006, 11:30 AM
Because there is currently no room, I'd have to cut the pipes to the solar heater back, run them up a foot or so - take a lot of different fittings, elbows, etc. By the time I got done making 3 or 4 trips to Home Depot for parts, the gas cost would likely pay for a plumber to do the work. I'm experianced doing electrical, very little doing plumbing, even if it is all glued together.

As for calling Polaris - not interested in a company which doesn't support older products, and has a relatively short warranty period.:mad:

MikeK

I agree with you on Polaris. I'm very disappointed.