PDA

View Full Version : how to lower water level using pool pump

johninmartinez
01-09-2012, 10:19 PM
I need to lower the water level in my in-ground pool just a bit (it's just high enough that cold water from the pool spills over into the attached spa when I'm trying to heat the spa). I understand there is a way I can do this using my pool filter pump. I've got an IntelliFlo Variable Speed pump (new) and a Pentair Clean and Clear Plus Cartridge filter (also new). The manual for the filter seems to indicate if I loosen the air release valve atop the filter and turn the pump on, water will run out of the filter. But I"m not clear where exactly the water comes out, and is there any way I can attach a hose to it, to direct the water flow.

Of course, I am going to fiddle around and try things for myself, but before I do I thought it would be good to ask for some advice on this. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

-- John

Poconos
01-14-2012, 10:40 AM
Sorry nobody got to this thread sooner but my guess, not having messed with cartridge filters, is that air bleed valve won;t let much water out if you open it. Flow would be real low. It's designed to bleed air, not liquid. My suggestion would be to get a small sump pump, less than $90 at Home Depot, and just use that when you need to drain off.
Al

mas985
01-14-2012, 11:11 AM
Most cartridge filters have a drain fitting near the bottom on the side of the filter that you can plumb a pipe and valve for draining. If the fitting is below the pool water level, you should be able to siphon out the water without the pump running.

johninmartinez
01-14-2012, 03:32 PM
Al and Mark, thanks to both of you for your replies. I'm not very handy, unfortunately, so I probably will have to go the sump pump route. which means I'll have to learn how to use one -- I've never used one (or even seen one) before. Hopefully my local hardware store guy can explain how to use it. I am assuming you can attach a garden hose to it.

johninmartinez
01-14-2012, 04:35 PM
sorry, I meant to include this in my original post -- I am wondering how the water level could have gotten higher in the first place. I haven't filled it lately, and it was fine as of a week or two ago. Could water be leaking into the pool from a suction line or a return line, or from some other source?

Poconos
01-14-2012, 09:30 PM
The sump pump I'm thinking about is a Flotec which is just a simple pump without any float switch. Just hook a garden hose to it, put it on a step to submerge it, plug it in and drain away. Home Depot or Lowes have them. As for the water level rising....any rain? That is about the only way.
Al

johninmartinez
01-15-2012, 01:15 AM
Thanks Al. I got one (not Flotec but I think it's similar), and used it successfully this afternoon. Took about two hours to drain off the amount I needed, and very simple to use, as you said. I appreciate everyone's responses on this.

CarlD
01-16-2012, 07:36 AM
Hi John!

Has the water in the pool risen again or did it stay down?

Carl

johninmartinez
01-16-2012, 02:43 PM
I just took a look. It's been 48 hours since I lowered it. I would say the level has stayed the same. The spillover between my spa and pool is a bit wet but that's probably because we've had very high winds the last 24 hours or so. The water level is still just below the spillover, which is where I set it. If it starts creeping up, any guesses as to the cause?

CarlD
01-16-2012, 03:35 PM
I guess it comes down to:
1) Rain
2) Spillover
3) something leaking between them
4) something else leaking into the pool

I don't see any other possibilities. 3) and 4) would probably imply a valve or cut-off leaking.

Carl

johninmartinez
01-16-2012, 09:44 PM
OK, thanks Carl. Since it hasn't rained here in six weeks, I'll focus on 2) through 4). I will keep a close watch on it from here on. If it keeps recurring, sounds like I'll have to do some leak detection (i.e., digging). Thanks for the suggestions.

- John

bobodaclown
01-23-2012, 04:18 PM
I added a draing to my Clean and Clear filter, its easy, Maybe 30 in parts. Cheaper and easier than a sump pump.
http://www.troublefreepool.com/adding-a-to-waste-drain-to-plumbing-t35088.html

johninmartinez
01-28-2012, 05:35 PM
thanks for passing that thread along. If I feel adventurous, I may give it a try.