PDA

View Full Version : AG Pool wall insulation kit?

Mr.Mooks
12-06-2011, 12:48 PM
Hello Everyone,

I was just wondering if anyone had experince with AG pool wall insulation kits. I am looking at getting a gas pool heating installed in the spring. Also my liner also has to be replaced under warrenty this spring as well so I was looking into getting some wall insulation put in at the same time. A company I have talked with getting the heater installed suggested the insulation to help keep the heat in. Has anyone used this? Does it exist? Costs? Will it help with heat or is it a waste of money? Any advice I have all winter here in Ontario Canada to look into it. Thanks.

BigDave
12-07-2011, 08:16 AM
I had pool "wall foam" installed when our pool was built last summer (also lined the floor) in hopes of maintaining as much of the limited solar heat available to us. It came in a kit of a roll of 1/4" thick closed cell foam and some spray glue (no glue for the floor kit) and wasn't very expensive as I recall. I bought it from a pool supply website - I don't know if available in Canada.

I can't say how effective it is at retaining heat (having nothing to compare), but, every little bit helps. It does provide a soft feel to the walls. The floor foam has a couple problems for me - it doesn't make the floor soft as the water is crushing the foam and the seams in the floor foam under the liner collect dirt in a very obvious straight line. If I do it again, I'll probably drop the floor foam.

The most effective thing you can do to keep your precious (and expensive) heat is to use a thermal cover. It will not only slow heat loss due to conduction but also due to radiation and, most importantly, evaporation which can be tremendous on a cool, dry breezy night.

Mr.Mooks
12-07-2011, 09:09 AM
Thanks Big Dave. I do use a solar cover religiously. I already have foam on the floor that is the way my installer install all his AG pools with a foam bottom. I think I will ask him to put wall foam in when he removes the liner this spring.