PDA

View Full Version : Alternative Pool Heaters

Bleach=Chlorine?
05-15-2006, 12:03 PM
Playing off a recent thread that highlighted www.redneckpoolheater.com has anyone ever heard of modifying a wood stove or building a custom wood heater? I have an almost unlimited supply of decent firewood and I know that a wood stove once up and running can put out heat for 8-12 hours without fresh wood. Any suggestions, comments, threats, etc welcome!

Bleach=Chlorine?
05-15-2006, 12:41 PM
Well I found a site that builds just what I was thinking about:

http://warmwatersolutions.com/Index.html

darrin
05-23-2006, 10:34 AM
Last year I was considering the same thing. I thought wood was a great alternative considering the price of gas or electricity. I found the same wood fired heater that you linked to in the above post but I was unable to find any reviews. My wife thought I was crazy but I ordered it anyway.

All things considered I am glad I have it. The heater is build very well and does as advertised. My water temp has a nice steady rise with a HOT fire. For best results I need to add wood every 2 hours. So you might think that is a draw back. It is not something that you can fire up and forget about.

One of my biggest concerns was that I smelling smoke all day. That proved to not be the case. Once the fire is hot, there is no smoke or smell.

I also found a few different websites with the same heater. The prices varied and so did the shipping. I think it would be against forum rules to post which site was cheapest and I dont want to endorse anyone. I am just suggesting that you shop around and you might save a few bucks.

NullQwerty
05-23-2006, 11:39 AM
Wow...That's pretty cool. I want one :) Do you feel the heat radiating off of it? Our patio set isn't that far from the pump (about 5-10 feet away or so).

darrin
05-23-2006, 02:34 PM
You dont feel radiating heat because it has dual walls and is insulated in the middle. You can actually touch the top and sides and it only feels warm. However I would not recommend you touch the door. The door get extremely hot. I would use extra cause if you have small kids and tell them never to go near the door.

Mine is located just 3 feet outside of the fence that is around my pool. The fence is covered with ivy and I also have ornimental grasses planted by the side of the heater. The plants dont seem to be bothered so the radiating heat cant be that bad.

It hasnt been all fun and games with the heater. I have bumped the door (more than a few times) as I am refilling the fire box. It hurts like *****. The worst time was pushing a log in with a poker. The poker slipped off the end of the log and my hand slammed up into the top edge of the door frame. It went thru my glove and into my thumb. A trip to the ER and 9 stitches later I was good. So it hasnt been all fun.