PDA

View Full Version : cheap bleach at Dollar General

cnix
05-15-2006, 09:23 AM
I thought I'd post that our local Dollar General stores have 6% bleach (American Value brand) in 3 qt. for $1.35. Sure beats what I've been able to find at Wal-Mart or Sam's.

(I'm near Chattanooga, Tennessee. I think Dollar General is a mostly southeastern US chain.)

Chuck

Poolidiot
05-15-2006, 05:01 PM
We get the 96oz 6% at walmart for around a 1.25

cwstnsko
05-15-2006, 08:49 PM
In Mesa, AZ, I get 12.5% fresh (locally produced) bleach for $9.95 for a tub of 4 gallons :) It's available at any of the GOOD pool stores for that price. It's not available at the chain pool stores at ANY price :(

superjet
05-16-2006, 02:22 PM
I thought I'd post that our local Dollar General stores have 6% bleach (American Value brand) in 3 qt. for $1.35. Sure beats what I've been able to find at Wal-Mart or Sam's.

(I'm near Chattanooga, Tennessee. I think Dollar General is a mostly southeastern US chain.)

Chuck

Shouldn't it be $1??!

tonyl
05-16-2006, 02:48 PM
I'm pretty sure the American Value brand from Dollar General is 5.25%

mjones
05-16-2006, 04:22 PM
I found some really cheap 6% at Sav-a-lot Grocery Store for 99 cents for 3 quart bottle.:eek: :D I've been buying alot trying to clear pool.:( But today, I noticed that it sure doesn't smell real strong.:mad: Don't know if it is any good. Any idea how to find out?:confused:

MaryLee
05-16-2006, 04:32 PM
Shouldn't it be $1??!
Good point!!;)

Oclat
05-16-2006, 08:46 PM
"Any idea how to find out?"
Just test your water and use the bleach calc. to see if it is the strength that it says it is.

StevenW
05-17-2006, 07:02 AM
I just bought AquaChem liquid chlorine 10% (sodium hypochlorite) at Wal-mart for 2.49 gal. Isn't that a better deal than buying the household bleach which would take 2 gals to equal the 10% of the AquaChem liquid?

mlh
05-17-2006, 08:19 AM
I used the 99 cent ultra bleach from Sav A Lot and it worked just fine for me.

VOLDADDY
05-17-2006, 10:25 AM

Chuck

Chuck,

I'm in Ft Oglethorpe. Watch the sales ads in Wednesday's papers. You will find the Bi-Lo generic brand on sale for .99 cents a lot. K-Mart also runs their generic bleach for .99 quite often. I have bought bleach at the Wal-Mart on Hwy 2-A cheaper than what you quoted. When you find it on sale buy several cases.

Rangeball
05-26-2006, 04:25 PM
I'm pretty sure the American Value brand from Dollar General is 5.25%

I just bought a bunch today, label says 6%.

AnnaE
05-26-2006, 11:14 PM
We just bought some from our local Aldi's. It's 96 ounce ultra at 6% for $1.00. The brand is Tundra. :o

Anna

Tyrone Shuz
05-30-2006, 12:55 AM
Man did I get ripped off!

My normally decent priced pool store (and fairly honest, and decent repair/installers) sells 12.5% bleach for $6.95/Gal!!! I guess it's a pay for convenience thing. It's a product called Shock-It, very generic looking white jug w/red and white label. I've not seen this strength bleach anywhere else in my area (DC/Balt/Annap). It sure beats my cauldron of pool water and cal hypo that I have to stir up each time, but at that price, I think I'll continue to stir, or hit the Chlorox aisle.

ChemE
05-30-2006, 01:06 AM
Man did I get ripped off!

My normally decent priced pool store (and fairly honest, and decent repair/installers) sells 12.5% bleach for $6.95/Gal!!! I guess it's a pay for convenience thing. It's a product called Shock-It, very generic looking white jug w/red and white label. I've not seen this strength bleach anywhere else in my area (DC/Balt/Annap). It sure beats my cauldron of pool water and cal hypo that I have to stir up each time, but at that price, I think I'll continue to stir, or hit the Chlorox aisle.

I get 12.5% here:
http://www.namcopool.com/service/store_locations/md_glenburnie_detail.htm

Namco has sale. Buy 3, get 1 free. Their regular price is 3.99/gal. (Last year it was 2.99/gal)

Tyrone Shuz
05-30-2006, 01:21 AM
I get 12.5% here:
http://www.namcopool.com/service/store_locations/md_glenburnie_detail.htm

Namco has sale. Buy 3, get 1 free. Their regular price is 3.99/gal. (Last year it was 2.99/gal)

Thanks! That's a start. It's not terribly far from me, probably 35 mile round trip, or close to $6 in gas, but that's still waaay cheaper than where I was going (Beltsville, about 2/3 the distance). Plus, it's almost all highway.

Are they a good store for other items as well?

milynor
05-30-2006, 02:51 PM
Bought bleach @ Big Lots (sno-ee), $1.29/gal. Did not have a percentage on label, so I e-mailed the company for a MSDA. Found out it is ONLY 3%!!!
AAAHHHHHH!!!!! UUUURRRRR! !@$%$%^$#@@^&$#@%$^

cajunfla
05-30-2006, 05:15 PM
Flyer today from Leslie's for chlorine, and a lot of other stuff:

2.5 gals for $2.99.....buy 2 get 1 free.

7.5 gals for $6 !!! pretty good price to me!!

Jeff

Tyrone Shuz
05-30-2006, 06:12 PM
Flyer today from Leslie's for chlorine, and a lot of other stuff:

2.5 gals for $2.99.....buy 2 get 1 free.

7.5 gals for $6 !!! pretty good price to me!!

Jeff

What % is the bleach? I don't see it on line.

cajunfla
05-30-2006, 06:19 PM
the flyer does not specify what %, but I was in there 3 days ago, and the salesman told me theirs is 10%, as we were 'discussing' using BBB.
I just had to. It's soooooo much fun.

ChemE
05-30-2006, 10:59 PM
Thanks! That's a start. It's not terribly far from me, probably 35 mile round trip, or close to $6 in gas, but that's still waaay cheaper than where I was going (Beltsville, about 2/3 the distance). Plus, it's almost all highway.

Are they a good store for other items as well?

Namco has almost anything you need at normal high prices, but also great sale prices. Be careful with any advice they give. Use your own common sense and this board.

Also, they have 5 gal containers of Liquid Chlor on sale. I believe it is also 12.5%. The con of this approach is the 6$ deposit, and that you will need a hand pump to transfer to a smaller, suitable container. I will stick with the gallons for convenience and safety.

Also, they sometimes run out of sale items temporarily, so you may want to call them and make sure they have plenty of stock before embarking on your 35 mile trip.

If you stock up on 12.5%, store it in a cool place such as your basement to preserve the chlorine concentration.

Good Luck!

Tyrone Shuz
05-30-2006, 11:33 PM
Namco has almost anything you need at normal high prices, but also great sale prices. Be careful with any advice they give. Use your own common sense and this board.

Also, they have 5 gal containers of Liquid Chlor on sale. I believe it is also 12.5%. The con of this approach is the 6$ deposit, and that you will need a hand pump to transfer to a smaller, suitable container. I will stick with the gallons for convenience and safety.

Also, they sometimes run out of sale items temporarily, so you may want to call them and make sure they have plenty of stock before embarking on your 35 mile trip.

If you stock up on 12.5%, store it in a cool place such as your basement to preserve the chlorine concentration.

Good Luck!

Yeah, that's the thing about bleach, you can't really stockpile it, as it does have a shelf life, plus it takes up a lot of space. The two pool places nearest me have never carried the high-power stuff till this year, and it's /very/ expensive.

And I don't bother with advice at supply houses. The guy at Water Works in Beltsville is pretty straight with me, I guess because he knows I'm educated. They also did great work installing my pump and filter along with the mesh cover. I like to patronize them, but I don't want to pay $6.95/gal for bleach!

Tyrone Shuz
05-30-2006, 11:35 PM
the flyer does not specify what %, but I was in there 3 days ago, and the salesman told me theirs is 10%, as we were 'discussing' using BBB.
I just had to. It's soooooo much fun.

Their on line catalogue doesn't list the product at all, but then again, I'm not sure I'd want to have liquid bleach shipped from somewhere far away in hot trucks.

bryjen
06-17-2006, 11:40 AM
Wish I got to this link sooner I just bought a couple of cases of the sno -ee. Guess ill take it back.

cajunfla
06-17-2006, 06:52 PM
Their on line catalogue doesn't list the product at all, but then again, I'm not sure I'd want to have liquid bleach shipped from somewhere far away in hot trucks.

Well unless you live near a liquid chlorine manufacturing plant, you really have no idea how long it has been in the stores warehouse before appearing on the shelf at your local store.

Does anyone know where liquid chlorine is manufactured??

bryjen
06-17-2006, 10:12 PM
Guess Ill keep the sno-ee bleach added at 7:30 tonight fc was 3. Two hours later its reading 5.25. According to the calc that comes out about 5.6%.

poolbuoy
06-18-2006, 06:57 AM
Shaw's supermarket this weekend sale is (96oz.) 10 for $10 of clorox. The shelf was almost empty and it was only Saturday.

mathey
06-18-2006, 07:42 AM
Anyone else having a tough time even finding bleach this year? My two local Walmarts have been completely sold out of bleach several times this year already!

Dr. Spike
06-18-2006, 12:13 PM
Anyone else having a tough time even finding bleach this year? My two local Walmarts have been completely sold out of bleach several times this year already!

So far I have not had any troubles. The Sam's Club near by always seems to have some. Decent pricing too. Also the Grocery store a block away always has some, but the are pricey, as with everything else the sell. :)

bryjen
06-18-2006, 04:02 PM
Hi Mathey Im here in Frederick,Md. Not too far from you. The Target here and walmart seem to have plenty. I just discovered we have a Big lots store here also. They sell cases of Sno-ee bleach 6 one gal to a box. Cost $1.30 a gal.I saw an earlier post that the concentration was 3%. But after adding and checking it was 5.6%.

cheshamjim
06-18-2006, 04:47 PM
"Any idea how to find out?"
Just test your water and use the bleach calc. to see if it is the strength that it says it is. I dunno ... I used the calculator last night to determine the ppm increase when adding a 1.42 gallon jug of Chlorox. It told me that amount would raise it by 5.5 ppm in my particular pool. I tested with Ben's kit about two hours after adding a jug and my FC had increased from 6 to 15 (I am running a high CYA pool).

I'm not sure how precisely the calculator aligns with reality. Or maybe I goofed it up somehow. I'm awfully new at this.

-Jim