PDA

View Full Version : new member, new pool

dawgster
11-13-2011, 01:42 PM
Hi all,
First post here, Just recently had a IG pool built, builder installed a ozone generator, which I'm learning was a waste of money, but it's also causes a issue with turning off the pumps at night. the tube from the ozone unit allows air to escape or get into the pump chamber and the water drains back into the pool. when the timer turns on the pump in the morning it doesn't pump because it lost it's "prime". I think this wouldn't be good for the pump. the builder has not gotten back to me so far. just thought i would get an experts advice from the forum.
do they make a ozone generator that stops the pump from using it's prime when turned off?
thanks,
Dawgster

PoolDoc
11-13-2011, 02:18 PM
The particular problem you describe is common, but isn't necessarily the ozone mfg's fault. Your pool builder may well have installed it incorrectly: many builders do not know how to avoid pump bypass loops that can allow a pump to lose prime. In many cases, if the unit was installed with small tubing, you can simply bend the tubing till it crimps, and then use electrical tape to hold it crimped till your builder can fix it.

dawgster
12-09-2011, 12:31 PM
Thanks for your response. my PB claims that's it's just the way it works and to run the pump 24/7. I don't agree with running the pump 24 hours a day and if there's a power outage the pump would be damaged when the power is restored.
does anyone know how to install properly? I rather get my money back on this equipment....

Thanks,
Dawgster

aylad
12-20-2011, 06:30 PM
bumping this post back up....

Brian@UltraPure
02-08-2012, 05:04 PM
Dawgster,

Are you still having an issue with your pump losing prime when it shuts off? There is no Ozone system (to my knowledge) that is meant to be running 24/7 on a residential pool. The recommended installation will depend on who the manufacturer of the Ozone Generator is. If you can post the info I can walk you through the correct installation procedures.

Thanks,
Brian