PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone buy chem from wholesalers?

pmeloy
11-12-2011, 10:01 AM
I've been operating municiple public pools for about 18 years and one of the first things I leaned is to never buy chemicals from pool stores. I go to the local chemical wholesalers and purchase Bicarb/Calcium chloride in big bags. There is usually a minimum purchase amount ($250 where I went a couple years ago - still have lots left!). The only issue I had at first was caking due to storing in an unheated building but a cheapo plastic storage bin (with sealing top, not the kind with two halves that fold down) solved that problem. I keep unopened bags in the basement heated storage and the opened ones in storage bins.

Caking of the bicarb wasn't a big deal as it breaks up easily enough. Caking of the calcium chloride is a royal pain in the bum.

PoolDoc
11-13-2011, 01:55 PM
Hi Pat;

Probably 75% of the forum users have less than 12,000 gallons of water in their pool; for them, 1# of stabilizer is 10ppm. So, wholesale quantities usually don't make sense.

Also, if you buy from the grocery store . . . or Sams Club . . . there may not be any advantage:
+ baking soda => from Sams: $0.30 for 12#; wholesale: $0.20 for 100#
+ cal chloride => RARELY needed, but available economically as ice melting salt.
+ bleach => wholesale quantities are perishable
+ dichlor => $2/lb at Sams for 50#; this is below wholesale in many areas
+ borax => ~$0.65/lb at Walmart; possibly 0.30/lb wholesale for 100#, but hard to find

The three chemicals that are often much cheaper at wholesale -- cyanuric acid, polyquat & HEDP -- are not usable on home pools in wholesale quantities.

So, while purchasing wholesale may work for a few, in select localities, it's not generally a practical option.

Thanks for posting.

pmeloy
11-13-2011, 10:59 PM
I wasn't clear. The $250 purchase was for my home pool, a 16x32 in ground.

PoolDoc
11-14-2011, 07:44 AM
Fair enough.

However, it's still true that buying multi-year quantities of chemicals doesn't work well for many pool users. We'd rather focus on saving money by using only the chemicals you need, rather than by buying bulk.

waterbear
11-29-2011, 02:37 PM
I buy some chemicals in bulk because it is more economical for me (example, I buy 50 lb bags of calcium because my fill water is processed by reverse osmosis where I live so it is very soft) but other chemicals that I use infrequently (such as baking soda or stabilizer, which I need maybe once a year or less) I buy in small quantities. I do buy Muriatic acid by the 4 gal. case since it is cheaper and I have a SAFE place to store it. This is about a year's supply for me if not more).