PDA

View Full Version : Do I disconnect my pump?

Bkirrane
10-16-2011, 12:46 PM
I need some advice. I live on Long Island and have an 18 x 38 pool. Every year I blow the lines and add anti-freeze. I then disconnect the Hayward Super Pump and store it in the garage. My question is: Do I have to disconnect the pump or can I just leave it attached. Thanks.

PoolDoc
10-16-2011, 07:07 PM
You can leave it attached . . . IF you drain it completely. On most pumps, you have to drain BOTH the volute (where the impeller is) AND the strainer pot (where the strainer basket is). Usually, there are two removable plugs.

You'll need to leave the plugs out, and store them in a safe place where you can find them next spring. When I've closed pools, I've always cleaned the pump strainer basket, and then put all the plugs, etc in the basket and replaced the lid.

By the way, the pressure gauge MUST be stored indoors; there's no practical way to get all the water out of the Bourdon tube.

waste
10-16-2011, 09:21 PM
Welcome to the Forum!

I fully agree with what Ben said. However, if you can easily take the pump inside for the winter, it's my opinion that it will last longer.

Bkirrane
10-21-2011, 05:55 PM
Thank you very much for the advice. Have a great winter