PDA

View Full Version : DPD Powder Alternative?

onemsmom
10-02-2011, 12:21 PM
Before I spend money to order more DPD powder - could any of you tell me if I could make any of the Taylor drops that are available at the pool store work? I don't remember the #'s on the bottles, so I'm counting on you knowing better than me - but there are kits that look very similar to my big kit, but they test the chlorine levels using drops, not powder. If I could use drops instead of the powder, it would be more convenient for me. If not, no biggie, I'll order it - just thought I'd ask.

Thanks!

Jennifer

waste
10-02-2011, 07:06 PM
Hi, Jennifer.

What you're talking about is the difference between the K-2005 (DPD) chlorine test and the K-2006 (FAS/ DPD) kit.

The DPD all drops test will only test up to 5 ppm chlorine, while the FAS/ DPD can test to 50 ppm. Depending on how high your cya level is, the DPD could be just as useless as OTO for really knowing your chlorine.

I would suggest staying with the powder (R0870)

{edit} When you order the R0870, you might want to pick up a Taylor K-1000 mini kit (it has the OTO cl test and the R 0014 pH test (as opposed to your Rooo4 pH test that can be used for acid and base demand tests -- save that test for when you need to adjust the pH))